Thursday, July 30, 2020

We ARE Believers

Next Swims:
     Mon-Fri 6AM and 5PM
     Saturday/Sunday 8AM and Noon

Last Swim:  Thursday 6AM
Water Temp: mid 60's with warmer and colder pockets
Air Temp:  70ish
Clarity:   super clear
Waves:  choppy and building

Kru: Showgirl, Dragonfly, Patriarch, Cindy, Jenny, Northshore Nancy, Sheila, Mr. Bubble, Magic Mike, Kahuna, Thanos the Therrible, Guy who Ignores Us, several Mystery Swimmers who did not sign the guest book, and Diablo on the early shift

Shore Support:  Lunatic Covid-19 doubter woman & fam

Well!  Talk about a rollercoaster of water temperatures.  After Monday's shocking low-50's, today the temperature was delightfully in the mid-sixties.

There were lots of swimmers on the beach, perhaps because of the impending BEACH HAZARD.  Biggish waves are coming, 2-4' tonight.

Someone (erroneously) decided swimming south was the way to go today.  As I made my way thru the chop I was fully planning that the return trip would be much easier.  Alas, that was not to be, and it was a lot of work to get back.

Nevertheless, the amazing morning light illuminated the shoreline, the clear water revealed the bottom, and this week's earlier cold water made us grateful for the warmth of today.

Something interesting or crazy always happens at the beach.  Today I encountered a covid-19 doubter.  She expressed surprise that I was wearing a mask, and  was fortifying her skepticism with the insightful scientific observations of her pre-teen son.

Swim on, my people.

5 comments:

Tattoo Lady said...

oh boy. I've not met a doubter in person yet.

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

What I learned today was always listen to the Voice of Experience (that would be Patriarch who went North.) I guess as a sailor I still need to wrap my head around the fact that in Lake Michigan currents reign supreme, wind is an afterthought if that.

Kahuna said...

To those who are believers regarding the risk of Covid, thank you. I really do appreciate those on the Kru who are being vigilant (maintaining social distancing and wearing a mask in those situations where distance is iffy or not possible). By doing so, you are protecting your health/life, others' health/lives, and the health/lives of those healthcare workers who don't have a choice about having to be in close proximity to Covid infected persons.

This won't last forever, a vaccine will likely be here by next season; all we have to do is be vigilant and responsible for a little longer, and all of us should get through this fine. Thanks.

Super Hera said...

I was late (no comments please) for the morning swim at 6 but earlier than usual for my late morning swim. When I was getting out of the water a bit before 9, there was a growing group of North Shore Fire and Rescue folks. At first I thought...training? But the crew kept getting bigger, a supervisor vehicle drove down the walk way and on the way out I saw a fire truck across from the parking lot. I thought about asking what they were doing but 1) no one *seemed* in a hurry. For all the people around there, lots of dudes just standing around looking rather blankly into the sea (yes comments here please). 2) The thought that I may have been just feet away from my greatest Lake Michigan fear, looking down into the water and seeing eyes looking back up at me, was too much to bear. I'd rather live in willful ignorance. But also I like secrets so if anyone knows what was up, post?

Moondaug said...

Lake Octopus sighting?