Saturday, July 11, 2020

A Covid Love Story

Next Swims:  
     Mon-Fri @ 6 am and 5 pm, 
     Sunday @ 8 am      
     Saturday/Sunday @ Noon
Last Swim:  Saturday Noon
Water Temp:  68 Macho-meter, 69 Itch-o-meter
Air Temp:  Eighties, sunny with occasional passing clouds
Clarity:  mediocre 5/10
Waves: none to speak of, slight swell
Kru:  Too many to name, but a sampling:  Capt'n, Ziggy, Itch, Kahuna, Fred, Forger, Panini, Lydia the Tatooed Lady, Stickler, Leslie & Will  Ala, Karolina, Jolene, Dragonfly, and many others

At the flagpole I met Leslie and Will.  Will was from Bloomington, Illinois, where I worked for a few years in the 80s.  Now he was at UWM studying engineering.  

"Did you meet at UWM?" I asked.

"We live in the same apartment building.  We met right before Covid and have been hanging out ever since," said Will.

"A Covid Love Story," commented Fred.

Leslie and Will exchanged a look.  "We'll take that, " Leslie said.

Some swam north because that's where the wind and current was coming from.  Others like myself headed south in hopes of avoiding boat traffic.  I continue to be amazed by the destruction and erosion of the shore to the South - huge chunks of forest carved away, branches in the water.  I was nearing a staircase ending in space when another swimmer approached me and asked, "is this the sewer pipe?"  "You passed it awhile back," I said.  

Swimming was gorgeous in the warm, comfortable temperature and even though clarity was lacking, the sun lit up the water.  Afterward a lovely breeze that kept the rocks onshore from getting too hot.  Walking up the bluff,  the entire bay glowed Caribbean blue and green.  Panini, Forger and I went a ways back down and looked out for Itch, who had gone halfway to Green Bay - here he was coming back after nearly an hour and a half, leading two others, one with a flouresecent green buoy.  Brik?  not sure.


3 comments:

Halloran said...

Btw, it's Karolina, not Carolina.

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

Thanks, my apologies.

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

I was able to update to correct the spelling to Karolina.