Thursday, June 4, 2020

The Day Giveth, and the Night Taketh Away

Next Swims:  Mon-Fri, 6 am and 4 pm
Last Swim: Thurs 6am
Water Temp:  46.5
Air Temp:   70
Clarity: crystal
Waves:  just the slightest movement to the water
Kru: Magic Mike, Showgirl, and Diablo on the early shift

The saga continues.


I arrived at Klode a few minutes late (is there really a "late" for swimming?), at the same time that two WFB po-po vehicles pulled in.  I immediately felt guilty.  In an effort to establish my innocence, I wished them good morning and headed down the ramp.

Magic Mike was on the beach suiting up, along with a pair kids watching the sunrise.  The two police also arrived on the scene, and must have just been there to enjoy the beauty of the beach.

I applied the neoprene and  took the temperature. 46.5.  "A short one," we agreed.

Other than the cold, it was beautiful and amazing.  The crystal clear water persists, and today we could see the sun dappling the sand at the bottom.  I swam to the garage and Mike went further.  

3 comments:

Kahuna said...

I saw the two police cruisers as well in the Klode parking lot this morning on my run. It surprised me, given that I imagine a lot of WFB PO are working late nights and overtime. I guess that much police personnel is necessary to keep Showgirl in line.

On a more grim note, anybody know anything about the guy who died after being pulled from the water at McKinley Beach?

https://fox6now.com/2020/06/03/mcso-man-dies-after-being-pulled-from-water-at-mckinley-beach/

Kahuna said...

The tree with the compound leaves on the beach is an ash tree, probably a green ash. https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_frpe.pdf.

Not an elm tree, as suggested by Itch. http://www.forestry.ok.gov/Websites/forestry/Images/trees,amelm.pdf.

Water temp at 4 today, somewhere between 48 and 56. Cooler by the rocks. Clear. Pleasant swimming once we got out there. Crew of 5 or 6 (Linda the Lamprey, Itch, Brik, Brik's friend Sandy? whatshername, Kahuna), plus Diablo pretending to be Clint Eastwood.

Mr. Bubble said...

Don't know anything about the guy who drowned at McKinley Beach. All I know is that a friend reached out to me to ask if I was alive because he heard that an "older guy" had drowned in the lake. I wrote back saying - "Thanks for your concern - what do you mean 'an older guy'?