Friday, June 26, 2020

The Badass Multiplier

Next Swims:  Mon-Fri @ 6 am and 5 pm, Saturday/Sunday @ Noon (unless consensus is 11 a.m, please post in comments)
Last Swim:  Friday @ 6 a.m.
Water Temp:  56.2
Air Temp:  low seventies, cloudy.  Slight NW breeze at bluff top, calm at the beach
Clarity:   Pretty clear, incentive for that initial immersion
Waves: Flat, slight south current
Kru:  Diablo on the early shift.  Magic Mike, Ala, Ala's daughter Carolina, Pool Noodle, Showgirl, Kahuna, Tom (friend o'Kahuna, needs a nickname), Dragonfly.  Brik, late shift.
Shore Support:  Squeeze o'Showgirl

I was first to the parking lot when Kahuna & Tom biked up.  "A fine good morning to you gentlemen," I said.  "Or is it a good morning to you fine gentlemen?" "I get that  question a lot when I wear bike shorts," said Kahuna modestly.  (They were very short shorts.)

Under pearly grey skies with a pale sun peeking through cloud layers, I waded in, planning to be FIFO (first in, first out.)  "I'm heading south, people," I called back to shore.  Since no one acknowledged, I figured I would be all alone.  North is generally the preferred a.m. direction, but I don't like returning against the current, even a slight one.  

I went sleeveless and sockless, planning a bit shorter swim than yesterday. If the hardest moment of the day is getting up before 5:30 a.m., the second hardest is that moment you put your face into the cold water.  But a clear bottom view with all its interesting random features is a great distraction.  Sleeveless, my shoulders felt free and I fired up my swim.

As I turned to head back, I was greatly surprised to see Showgirl heading south past me.  Continuing back I spotted a couple more southbound swimmers.  Showgirl, Magic Mike and Pool Noodle achieved sewer pipe, where the reported dialogue was:

Showgirl:  "It smells bad here."
Magic Mike:  "Yeah. I'm getting out of here."

I was first out, as planned, sockless feet thoroughly chilled.  Pool Noodle did a single and Showgirl a double post-swim skin loop around the rocks.  My entire life was vindicated when people confirmed my theory that southbound was the direction of choice for the day.

Post-swim, a small group of Premium Klode Kru members repaired to our temporary clubhouse (until the new construction begins) at Silver Spring and Hollywood Boulevard (intersection of Stone Creek Coffee and Bruegger's Bagels.)  

Last summer I stopped for a bagel after every swim.  This year, with counting calories plus Covid, getting a to-go bagel is a Very Big Deal.  The exquisiteness of a once-a-week, still-warm Everything bagel, poppy seeds, crispy dried onions and garlic flakes melding with sweet rich savory peanut butter (need a moment here) can hardly be described.  Discussion of calories led Showgirl and me to complain about how stingy our Garmin watches were in granting Open Water Swim calories.  

Dragonfly:  "It just doesn't take into account the Bad-assness of an Open Water swim."
Pool Noodle:  "You need an extra setting.  There should be another button."
Magic Mike:  "The Badass Multiplier!"

Speaking of Kru membership....Perhaps zip up sweatshirts in  royal, navy or purple, with the Kru Skull 'n Bones in gold thread?

Finally - ANY interest in an earlier swim Saturday, Sunday or both - 11 a.m. to avoid boats?  Please post in comments.  Otherwise, will see y'all at noon tomorrow.


8 comments:

Kahuna said...

Nice post. I'm fine with an 11 or a noon swim on Saturday (just as long as we pick just one time). With my pull buoy, boats don't really bother me. Prefer noon Sunday.

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

So, one-half vote to depart from tradition. Tradition is holding at noon.

Tattoo Lady said...

What is with those stingy Garmin calorie counters? That can't possibly be right. Shouldn't cold water make you burn MORE calories? I could be persuaded to swim at 11am. Will someone post here if there is a consensus? I would also wear a Kru embroidered sweatshirt. Something cozy, post swim.

Kahuna said...

Kru sweatshirt?

https://www.soscribbly.com/product/suwoo-trump-hoodie/

Mr. Bubble said...

Hmm, do they make Depends with those images?

Mr. Bubble said...

I'm not so worried about boats because I always have a Barbie. But I do have a couple of friends who wanted to come tomorrow at noon and 11:00 would be more difficult for them. So make me a full vote for noon tomorrow and a half vote after that

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

It's official: Noon swim on Saturday

Chris M said...

noon