Monday, June 29, 2020

Summer of Abandoned Sandals


Next Swims:  Mon-Fri 6am, 5pm
                         Sat,Sun noon
Last Swim:  Monday 6am
Water Temp:  64
Air Temp:  warm
Clarity:   crystal
Waves: slow swells
Kru:  Magic Mike, Laguna Mike, Kahuna, Thanos, TatooLady, Pool Noodle, Patriarch, Mr. Bubble, Showgirl

The magic days of summer swimming have arrived.

Hard to even know what to say about these latest abandoned shoes.

The water maintained most of its warmth from yesterday, and all of its clarity.  And none of its boats.

We swam north. Pool Noodle nearly forgot to turn around. Once we were back at the beach it was universally agreed to be... the best swim of the season.  (No, really.)

Post-swim Kahuna un-helpfully pointed out that it would have been the PERFECT day for a shipwreck swim. When I asked, "should we schedule one for tomorrow?"  he declared that the moment was past, and it is completely impossible to schedule the kind of spontaneity needed for a shipwreck swim. Nevermind that we have, in fact, always un-spontaneously scheduled our shipwreck swims....

In other news:  Congrats to Mr. Bubble on the first day of rest of life-- he's retired now.

In other, other news:  Congrats to Tom for receiving his swimming nickname.  Kahuna has christened him "Thanos" not after the evil supervillain blood-test company, but instead after the evil supervillain Marvel character.

Also, let us not gloss over Kahuna's words of warning from yesterday's blog post. We all adamantly want to keep the beaches open, and tho we cannot control the actions of non-Kru at the beach, we can control ourselves and set a good example.  Let's continue to maintain our distance and mask up.

8 comments:

Kahuna said...

Who is in favor of designating the Tuesday morning swim as an Atwater Beach Shipwreck Swim? My vote would be yes.

I checked the forecast. Southeast winds over the next 24 hours bodes well for pleasant water temps tomorrow similar to today. The winds are also forecast as light enough that such should help to settle the surface and sediment overnight. The spanner in the works though is the forecast for a possible scattered thunderstorm at 6 a.m. Tuesday, with mostly cloudy skies. Still, I think a swim out to the wreck from Atwater Beach in the morning might be worth a try. No guaranty though that if you do swim, that you'll see the wreck. Ghost ships. One canna predict the appearance of The Flying Dutchman, and one canna predict the appearance of the Appomattox.

Mr. Bubble said...

I'm in. I've yet to truly lay eyes on the Appomattox. All I've ever seen is some vague outlines that look like they might be something besides a sandy or rocky bottom

Mr. Bubble said...

I just googled about the Appomattox and I realize the last time I did a shipwreck swim, I did see it! I just didn't know what it would look like. Hope it's clear enough to see it again tomorrow

Showgirl said...

Better late than never, I updated the blog for tomorrow at Atwater.

Tattoo Lady said...

So... are we at Atwater or Klode tomorrow? I am now confused.

Kahuna said...

With the rain and the forecast, and with my schedule tomorrow, I'm going to have to skip the Tuesday a.m. swim. Enjoy.

Mr. Bubble said...

I'm still planning to go. Buoy says that the water has dropped to mid-50s now

Wytosk said...

I will be a bit late to Klode tonight, if anyone is looking to swim around 5:30 I’m planning on it. What was the water temp this morning?