Monday, August 3, 2009

Busted!

Beach: Klode
Water temp: 50! Holy Cow!
Crew: Cap'n, Kimberly, Patriarch
Next swim: Tuesday afternoon, 7PM Klode
The lake busted our balls today for sure. Even going in up to the knees was painful, swimming was out of the question, even with a wetsuit.

But apparently the organizers of the Bradford Beach Triathlon didn't think so, and the result was predictable: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/52374682.html
They're lucky it wasn't worse.

And if that's not depressing enough, here's an article from today's Journal about fecal contamination in Milwaukee lakes and rivers: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/52319607.html

In particular, the author says Big Bay is a place where people should not swim.

I've swum at Big Bay dozens of times, and other Lake Michigan beaches hundreds of times and I've never been sick. And I'm not giving it up now. I have no doubt the article is correct and the threat is real.

But I refuse to give in to the endless stream of bad press about the lake. I accept the risks, let common sense be my guide as to when and where to swim, and if makes me sick or worse, so be it, I'm going to have one hell of a time until it does.

No comments: