Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mermaids and Shipwrecks

Today was our most adventurous swim yet.   The day started ordinarily enough, with our usual sunrise swim at Klode

Later in the morning we got an email from Nahi, asking if we were interested in an afternoon swim.  Dumb question!  Nahi, Cap'n and I met at Atwater beach.

As we descended the stairway to the beach we beheld a very beautiful woman putting on a wetsuit.  I'm absolutely sure she was really a mermaid.  She said she was swimming to the buoy about a quarter mile offshore.

I had some doubts about swimming that far out, but like all guys we're suckers for mermaids. Common sense be damned, out we went!  

Unlike Klode which sits shallow Whitefish Bay, Atwater is on a point, and water gets deep in a hurry.   Despite the depth we could clearly see bottom, the water was crystal clear.  I was so mesmerized by the lake floor below and the mermaid ahead that I wasn't at all anxious, but maybe I should have been.  Don't mermaids lure men to their deaths?

We reached the buoy after a bit.  I had heard that there was a shipwreck out there, but I expected a small boat, not a 319 foot steamer!  A huge hull was clearly visible on the bottom.  It was quite the sight!

When I got home, I checked it out on the web, and found that the wreck is the steamship Appomattox.  The story of the ship and the wreck is here: 
www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/explore_appomattox_intro.cfm
(Click on "read the tale" link).

We returned to the beach, we talked to the mermaid for a while, climbed up the stairs, and then she was gone..............................

Thursday: 6AM Klode


 

1 comment:

Gui said...

Ha...now i am curious to know who the mermaid was?

Megan and I are planning on swimming tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:30 pm out of Klode.

Our first swim together this summer...ay ay ay...she is going to kick my ars.

Cheers,

Gui