Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Double Dip, ....... or Triple?

Wow, is it the middle of August already? There's only two, or three, or maybe four weeks if we're really lucky, of good swimming left. I feel like I did when I was a kid, wishing that summer would never end, and school would never start, determined to make the best of the time remaining.

Another "double dip" day. This morning started at Klode at sunrise. A beautiful sunrise over the lake heralded a minor miracle: Nahi left his wetsuit in the car!

Cap'n and Robin and Nahi and me headed out on warm, dead calm water. Nahi, training for ironman, led the way and set a torrid pace. The rest of us tried to keep up, visions of Michael Phelps dancing in our heads. But our dreams of Olympic glory were crushed, we couldn't keep up. It was a great swim though, a very fast (for us) mile plus in just over 30 minutes.

At lunchtime I decided to run up to Bradford, swim a bit, then run back downtown. I tried to get the Cap'n to join me, but he's too responsible. We'll work on that!

On the way to Bradford I went by McKinley, and I probably should have swum there, the beach was clear and clean. Bradford, on the other hand, was clogged with smelly algae. I don't understand the difference, they're only a half mile apart.

Anyhow, once I walked through about 20 feet of smelly goo on the shore, the water was great. It's starting to settle down and clear up now that the big waves of the last few days have died down. And, the water continues to be very warm, in the 70's.

Wednesday: 6AM Klode

P.S. If anyone's going tonight I could be persuaded to make it a "triple dip" day!

No comments: