Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hey Buddy You've Got Two More Buoys

This morning I did the 2.4 mile Lake Monona swim on the Ironman course.  

There were two races to choose from, the wetsuit race for triathletes practicing for ironman (who else would wear a wetsuit in 80 degree water?), and the "championship" race for competitive swimmers.  I am neither, but I figured it would be less humiliating to get my butt kicked by honest-to-God swimmers, so I entered the championship race.

As I crossed the timing mat to get into the water I saw Megan.  Drat!  There went my chance at winning.

My main concern was just being able to swim that far.  But I was surprised how easy it was.  I probably should have tried to swim faster.

The course was rectangular, marked by large buoys at the corners, with smaller buoys in between.  On the backstretch of the second loop I thought I had come to the corner buoy, so I made the turn back to the shore.  Give me some slack here, Patriarchs are known for their wisdom, not their eyesight. 

I didn't get far before I had a guy in a kayak yelling at me, "Hey buddy, you've got two more buoys!".   So now I was even further back in the pack.  No matter, it was great fun!

Megan was the first woman, second overall.  Josh was 4th in his age group.  And I was not last.

Next swim:  Sunday 10AM Klode  

 

No comments: