Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lots of Swimming

Lots to report, but not much time to blog, so this will be quick.

First, the water continues to be very warm, wetsuits completely unnecessary, in the opinion of me and Cap'n and me, although no one seems to agree with us.  I'm not sure why, we're not trying to be macho men or anything, the water just feels very warm, we could swim all day without getting cold.

Yesterday at lunch I jogged up to McKinley and did an easy 20 minute swim.  A strong current from the north made going that way tough, but a torpedo ride coming back.  A bit murky near shore, but nice out about 50 meters.

I did not make the 6:30 swim at Klode, Cap'n told me there were 4-5 swimmers, but the only name I remember is Josh.  The water near the beach was very bad, they almost didn't swim.

This morning it was much better at Klode.  The water was calm and Sandy, Robin, Cap'n, and swam a mile or a bit more.

Upcoming swims:
Megan and Gui are swimming at Bradford at 10AM today, I won't be able to make that, but if you read this Gui, please report.

Cap'n and I are going to try to meet later, tentative 6:30PM at klode

Tomorrow (Sunday):  I will swim at Bradford at 10AM (Cap'n has the Pleasant Prairie Tri)
We'll also try to arrange an afternoon/evening swim ( go to keep my two-a-day streak going)

Whew! 

2 comments:

Josh said...

Ahem! I swam without a wetsuit Friday.....

Gui said...

Saturday noonish Megan and I decided to swim on Bradford Beach. We had plans to go north for about 25 minutes and come back. We got denied by the lifeguard, he said we had to stay within the guarded area on Bradford, and the lifeguard had to follow us on the row boat. The area got smaller and smaller as the guy got tired on the row boat. We still swam for about 45 minutes, doing 8 laps of this circuit. Water felt great on such a hot day.

Sunday morning we headed to Klode at 10am. When we got down there, we luckily saw the sign saying the beach was closed due to e-coli count. Did not want to risk it...so we headed to Bradford again. This time we were able to talk the lifeguard into letting us swim north at our own risk, he said "sure, there is some crazy guy out there already (Greg!)". It was a great swim north, water gets really shallow just before the wastewater treatment building. But, then there is a quick drop. I had never seen the front of that building, they have a nice lawn to the side of it. The place looks like a prison (a poop prison, I guess). On the way back we headed against small waves, that were felt as soon as we turned around. Good swim overall...water feels great.

Next time I am thinking of doing a one way swim. Maybe from McKinley to Atwater. No idea of the distances. Does anyone know how far apart these beaches are? Mckinley, Bradford, Atwater, Big Bay, Klode...in order from South to North. I never know their names.


Cheers!!

Gui