Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Answer is Blowing in the Wind

It was a pleasant evening, so I left my east facing bedroom windows open. When I awoke the curtains were blowing and I could hear a low roar coming from the east. Could that really be the lake? I live 3/4 of a mile away!

Yes, it was. Driving to Klode, I went around the curve at Big Bay beach, where you can see all of Whitefish Bay. This morning it was Whitecap Bay!

Nahi, the Cap'n and me had to really fight through the surf to get past the sandbars to where you could actually swim. Sort of. Sometimes you reach out to stroke and grab nothing but air. Other times your arm can't even get out of the water because it's being swamped by the waves.

What a ride! We swam out to the "garage", and Cap'n and Nahi decided to keep going. I thought they were nuts. I turned back and played in the surf near the beach. When I saw them coming back to the beach I swam out to meet them. The waves pushed us up onto the shore like driftwood. Wow! It's a good thing the Klode beach has such a wide expanse of sand, it's not easy to control exactly where you come to shore.

Swimming in these huge waves is fun and scary all at the same time, sort of like a huge roller coaster. It's as much a mental game as a physical one. But it sure is a lot of fun.

The only bad part is that there's lots of algae or seaweed in the shallow water near the shore, and it seems to want to cling to every hair on your body. It takes forever to pull it all off. (Out further the water is very clean.)

But a little seaweed isn't going to stop us. We'll be at it again this afternoon and tomorrow morning. The nearshore marine forecast says the waves will be even bigger!

Klode 4:30PM today (Tuesday)
Klode 6:30AM tomorrow (Wed)

No comments: