Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Temporarily Spoiled by Devil's Lake

Next swims: M - F, 6am and 6pm
Last swim: Tuesday, July 9, 5-6 pm
Water temp: 69 per Patriarch-o-meter 
Water clarity: Sandy, 3/10.  
Waves: 12-18"
Kru: Patriarch, Sir James, Handyman Hank, The Big Show, Synchro, Mr. Bubble, Super Hera

Everyone but Hank was already out when I arrived, Hank was just getting in the water.  He was wearing his Roka shorts and he told me the water was the warmest yet - 69 degrees.  "Do you have a thermometer now?" I asked.  Usually foot-o-meter readings are not that specific.  "Patriarch" was Hank's reply, as he points out to a Barbie on top of the water nearby.

First thought after wading in - "This is cold!" - next thought - "Devil's Lake has spoiled me!".   Two days ago, I swam in a full wetsuit in 77 degree water for only 53 minutes, and today, I think 69 degrees is cold.  Those irrational thoughts passed quickly once I was fully submerged and swimming.

Super Hera arrived just as the rest of us had come in.  She kept asking if someone was still out and we kept saying no, everyone (that we know of is) back already.  Few minutes after Super Hera has swum out, the Big Show swims back in! 

Having a shot of Killepitsch after a 6 pm swim has not been as common this season, so I brought along the bottle I had from Devil's Lake.  Of course, I just had to offer the Patriarch a shot, in return for who knows how many he has poured for me.  Ah, but Synchro had an even better offering...a cold bottle of Pitsch.  She had kept it in the freezer for 2 hours before bringing it to Klode in this special, zippered nylon caring case, designed for carrying chilled wine (Where did you get that?  No idea, it was a gift").  So, Synchro got the privilige of being the Sommelier.  Perfect temperature!

In fact, perfect temperature all around...air temperature, lake temperature and Pitsch temperature. 

Best Swim of the Season!

No comments: