Thursday, July 4, 2019

Big Bay to Atwater

Next Swim: Friday 6am and 6pm
Last swim: Tuesday, July 4th @ Noon
Water temp: 67 per Itch-o-Meter
Water clarity: pretty darn clear
Waves: variable; sometimes just 3-4", other times 6-8"
Kru: Forger, Magic Mike, Dragonfly Riff Raff, Itch, Moondrop Gumdaug, Super Hera, Amelia and Linda, Cap'n and Ziggy, Kahuna, Laguna, Showgirl
Early Shift:  Sir James
Shore Support:  Karen Sands, Eric Gitzen

What a great way to celebrate birthday #243!  Nice sunny day, warm water, good company.  Thanks Kahuna for bringing the flag.

As a relative newcomer to the Kru, I thought it was de rigueur that we do a Big Bay to Atwater swim on the 4th, and I was excited about doing it again.  When we got to the beach, a couple of people opined that maybe we should do Atwater to Big Bay, since the wind would be driving us.  Cap'n even suggested doing that yesterday, when we were debating about what time we should meet up.  That opinion was definitely the voice of reason for today.  

My concern that Atwater beach would be locked up tight come 1:00 turned out to be unfounded.  According to Mrs. Bubble, Eric Gitzen, who had lifeguarded that morning, was hanging out there until about 2:00, waiting for the official keymaster to show up.  Some kids even snuck down to the beach.  Mrs Bubble managed to persuade the official keymaster to keep the gate unlocked until I came up.  

Many thanks to those of you who were hanging out, waiting for me to come in, and who were concerned about what happened to me.  Thank you Itch for spotting me and letting Mrs. Bubble and the others know that I would be a while.  Thanks Forger for letting me borrow a swim cap and goggles.  I brought my phone in my Barbie and was trying to track my swim using MapMyRide.  I pulled out the phone when I came ashore and was disoriented when MapMyRide said I had been swimming for 2:50.  That did not compute.  Then I saw that the time was 2:58 pm - I still couldn't believe it.  Looking on the bright side - I set two PRs today - longest duration swim and slowest velocity!  

My friend Karen, who came to see us off, really enjoyed meeting everyone.  She texted me later to say "What a fine, caring fun bunch of people.  I think once it hits 70, I'll be there with a wetsuit".  Karen is a strong swimmer herself - she did the Milwaukee River swim with us last year and she'll be there again this year

I still have that bottle of Killepitsch so I'll plan to bring it along at the next Best Swim of the Season!
.  



9 comments:

Kahuna said...

Anybody interested in an 8 a.m. swim on Saturday, then retiring to Three Lions Pub for breakfast and the USA v. Netherlands game? Game starts at 10. Three Lions Pub will be packed, and is not particularly cheap for breakfast, but it's a great place to watch a soccer game. If we get a preliminary count, maybe I can get a reserved table in the back room.

James Biles said...

Don’t forget about The Big Show who swam with me on the early shift. 🏊‍♀️🏊🏻‍♂️

Wytosk said...

Looking at 6pm tonight! ...actual 6pm not 5pm. Unless 5 is the preferred time?

jamie said...

swimming at noon today(Friday) if anybody wants to go for a dip.

rsm said...

Kahuna--Showgirl and I are going tomorrow (Sat) at 6:30am as she is off to a mountain bike race that day and I just would like to get an early swim in. You are welcome to join in the fun.

rsm said...

we did a very impromptu swim (from an initial text to entry into the water for me was about 30 minutes) this morning 8:30 for two, 9 am for another, and 930 for yet another swimmer shift. the water was about 65--based on feel no thermometer reading. clarity was good. gentle, small wave. and a brilliant sun.

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

I really thought the game was on Sunday?

Showgirl said...

There was a thermometer reading... 63.5.

Unknown said...

Dragonfly (as usual) is correct. Soccer game is on Sunday.