Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Still friggin’ cold

Next swim: Wednesday 6pm

Last swim: Wednesday 6am
Water temp: Nobody had a thermometer; pain in the feet, shocking breath intakes, spontaneous utterances of swear words, you get the idea
Water quality: clear
Waves: flat
Kru: Pool Noodle, Forger, Brian, shore support from Christina, Magic Mike

This is a day for inland lake swimming. I had just returned to the MKE area after two days on the shore of one of Wisconsin’s many northern inland lakes. That was delightful. Reading Showgirl’s post from yesterday had me a little hesitant. But down to the water I went this morning. Everyone was slipping into their neoprene. The water was clear and punishingly cold. Brian and Forger each made a few strokes happen, all within the rock piles, before coming back to shore. Then Forger made a southerly attempt, accompanied by Pool Noodle who had suited up. She made it to the end of the beach and back: an impressive feat. I chose to stay dry today. So did Christina. Brian and Christina spoke about trying Pike Lake, another one of those lovely inland lakes. Not a bad idea.

The north wind is currently blowing a cool fog through my backyard. Yet the city is heating up this week. Perhaps temps will be more in keeping with the buoy this evening. They sure weren’t this morning.


9 comments:

rsm said...

Is it just Klode that is cold? The buoy is up in the 60s, the beach forecast shows water temps in the 60s up and down WI... this is strange.

Magic Mike said...

Interesting. I was just up at Harrington on Sunday. It was delightful. Definitely in the 60s.

thelmalu said...

I tried Atwater at about 12:30pm. My temp probe stabilized at 57.4 in water up to my knees--I didn't go any further. I sent the probe with the lifeguard to a more decent depth and he came back with 54.5. Meanwhile the buoy temps online kept rising, even went over 70 at some point.

Kahuna said...

54 at 6 pm at Klode. Not as cold off shore. The buoy (saying 72) lies.

James Biles said...

Sir James here. I left Klode at 6pm (55 degree water temp) and went to Atwater. Temp at Shore was 67. I went in skin. As soon as I swam out about 200 yds, the temps increased to a nice warm 70-72. Water clarity was amazing and surface was calm. Swam over the ship wreck which was easily visible. A very nice and enjoyable swim. I recommend swimming at Atwater as long as the buoy has the higher temps. Enjoy.

Wytosk said...

To Atwater we/I go!! Thanks Sir James!

Lisa said...

Hi there! Former Milwaukee native and long-time San Francisco Bay swimmer here visiting and would like to join your crew for a swim or two. When and where are you going out next?

Kahuna said...

Lisa -- Come swim with us! Next swim is scheduled for 6 p.m. this evening at Klode Park (we meet at the flag pole next to the parking lot before 6). I suggest you come prepared for a variety of water temperatures, because the Atwater buoy temp graph (available at this link: https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=45013&meas=otmp&uom=E&time_diff=-5&time_label=CDT) has shown some significant temp swings over the last few days. With the West wind today, my guess is that the water temp this evening (and over the next few days) is going to be in the 50's, if we are lucky.

Lisa said...

I didn't make it this evening, but I swam earlier today with Itch/Jamie - we swam at Atwater and it was a blast! Looking forward to swimming with you soon!