Thursday, July 25, 2019

Swimming and remembering

Next swim: Thursday, 6pm

Last swim: Thursday, 6am
Water temp: 57, with lots of changing temp pockets
Water quality: clearer, occasional glimpses of the bottom
Waves: flat
Kru: Capt’n, Ziggy, Snap, Magic Mike. Late shift shore support from Patriarch and Showgirl

Its hard to beat summer mornings on the beach. Shortly after I arrived and determined the need for a wetsuit, Capt’n, Ziggy and Snap showed and the macho-meter confirmed it. Everyone slid into some form of a wetsuit and swam off. As I returned from a considerably shorter swim than the others, I saw Patriarch preparing for a dip. Upon hearing of the colder temps, he chose to postpone (in favor of warmer conditions, I assume?). Showgirl came down the hill. We traded some words about the water, about mountain bike practice, about breakfast, and then Patriarch and Showgirl headed back up to the path.

As I watched them walk away and as I watched the swimmers in the water returning, I realized that there were plenty of people at the beach this morning who knew Robin better than I did. I imagine that’s part of what brought them to Klode this morning. I took an extra moment to remember that she would often come to join us at Klode or Atwater even if she wasn’t going to swim. Before or after those swims, I might occasionally have a chance to talk with Robin.  She’d always listen to, and often express a kindred appreciation for all the joys of open water swimming. Or of just being down at the waterside. I also remember that, toward the end of her life her parents would bring her down to the lake to enjoy precisely what we all enjoy about being at the shore. Those nearly daily trips aided the palliative care she was receiving this spring and summer. I am glad she had them.




1 comment:

Kahuna said...

As I sit here at 11:20 contemplating whether I should participate in the noon swim, I see that the buoy temp is indicated as 44 degrees. Grim. Baltic.