Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Waterspouts?

Next Swims:  Thursday 8/9 6AM & 6PM, Fri 8/10 6AM
Sat 8/11, open water clinic with James and Jessica 11:00-12:30

Last Swims: Tue 6PM, Wed 6AM & 6PM
Water Temp: mid-70s
Waves: 1-2 ft, choppy and rough with a pretty good current
Water Clarity:  Gunky near shore, much better away from shore
Tue PM Crew: Ele, Jason, Kahuna, Patriarch
Wed AM Crew: Brain, Diablo, Cap'n, Patriarch, Wonder Woman, Gumdrop, Showgirl, James, Ali
Wed PM Crew: Wonder Woman, Lorraine, Patriarch

I arrived at the beach Wednesday evening, my mood matching the gray drizzly sky.  I was still tired from the morning battle in rough seas followed by a run.  To be honest I really didn't feel like battling those waves again.  I didn't think anyone would show up on this dreary evening and I was about to slink away but then Wonder Woman appeared on her bike followed by newcomer Lorraine.  Into the mumbo jumbo we went.  It was a short swim, only to garage and back.  But as always it was exhilarating and I was glad we did it.

We'll do it again Thursday and Friday and the forecast is interesting to say the least.  In addition to a prediction of thunderstorms and high waves, there is something I've never seen before in the forecast: a possibility of waterspouts.  Waterspouts?  What the heck are they?  I'm not sure, but I have visions of being swept up in some black vortex and deposited on a beach in Munchkinland.

3 comments:

James Biles said...

Bring your cameras. Waterspouts are awesome. I watched in awe one stormy day off Puerto Rico as four waterspouts in a row made the transition from waterspout to tornado as they traveled shoreward. They didn't last long once over land, but the show was amazing!

Moondaug said...

Yea I saw waterspouts before one of the High Cliff tris one year. They look like tornadoes over the water, I'm guessing one cant swim in those conditions, but I will of course defer to Sir James on the issue! Also, don't forget your boogie boards!

Showgirl said...

Oh for pete's sake. All I want is a nice peaceful swim and we're getting waterspouts and 6-10ft waves???

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=mkx&product=nsh&issuedby=mkx

Maybe a waterspout will grab the treasure chest and drop it on shore.