Friday, August 10, 2012

Biggest Waves of the Season

Next Swims:  On Saturday 8/11 from 11:00-12:30 Jessica and James will conduct an informal open water swim clinic.  Or if you don't want to do the clinic, just come and swim.

Tonight Friday 8/10 I will be at the beach at 6PM to check on conditions, but may not swim if it's too rough.

Sunday 8/12: 1:30PM

Last Swims: Thu 8/9 6AM & 6PM, Fri 8/10 6AM
Water Temp: 70
Waves:  Thursday 1-2 foot choppy, Fri AM 6 foot monsters with a strong current
Water Clarity:  None, water full of slit, sand, and algae
Thu AM Crew: Jake, Joe, James, Pat, Matt, David, Ali, Nivens McTwist, Smartass, Little Fish, Cap'n, Patriarch, Diablo, Kahuna, Wonder Woman, Scooby, Brain, Gumdrop, Showgirl
Thu PM Crew: Patriarch, Cap'n, Hernan, Loraine
Fri AM Crew: James, Jake, Capn, Gumdrop, Ryan, Brain, Diablo

No peaceful sunrise this morning.  No easy gliding on smooth water.   Instead: Angry sky, angry water.  Awesome, powerful and scary.  Waves breaking 100 meters out and more.  Whitecaps to the horizon.  A huge current pushing south.  Whatever your swim plan was, forget it.  You could only do what the Lake let you do.  Some tried to swim north, but it was a hopeless treadmill going nowhere.  It was too much for me. I watched from shore as the others got pushed, tossed, slapped, and put through the spin cycle.

I am hoping the lake calms down enough to allow me a 6PM swim, I'd hate to end my streak of 30 plus days.

P.S.  Anyone have a baby stroller or jogger they could lend us for a couple days (Sun-Wed)?  My almost two year old granddaughter will be visiting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fri nite at 6 swim- OMGGGGG THAT WAS THE FUNNEST SWIM EVERRRR!! Special thanks to Cap'n and the Patriarch for the 20 minutes they devoted to stuffing me into my wetsuit. "How many Klode Kru swimmers does it take...?"