Thursday, August 16, 2012

Knuckleheads

Next Swims:  Thu 8/16 6PM, Fri 8/17 6AM
Also, tomorrow I will post times for the weekend swims, we'll pick the times that appear most favorable for calmer water so we can do long swims. Typically morning would be best, but not always.  We'll  include a swim to Big Bay (one or two way).

Last Swim: Thu 8/16 6AM
Water Temp: 70
Waves: half foot chop
Water Clarity: Good
Crew:  Five Knuckleheads that I will not name to save them from ridicule and embarrassment (although I doubt these knuckleheads feel an ounce of embarrassment)

I woke up early this morning and decided to run to the beach rather than drive.  But when I get within a mile of Klode I see lightening and hear thunder rapidly approaching from the west.  I figured that would be the end of the swim plan because only knuckleheads would swim in a thunderstorm.  So I turned back for home.

When I got home I decided to drive to the beach to see if anyone else had headed there and whether they might be interested in breakfast instead of swimming, because only knuckleheads would swim in a thunderstorm.  By the time I arrive at the beach, it's beginning to rain and lightening is filling the sky north and west accompanied by loud and long booms of thunder.

I see cars I recognize in the lot, but no people, so I figure they're still on the beach watching the frequent flashes hitting the lake to the north, an awesome sight.  It did not occur to me that anyone would be in the water because only knuckleheads would swim in a thunderstorm.

I walk down to the beach and am stunned to see piles of clothing on the beach, but no swimmers.  By this time the entire sky is flashing in every direction.  I look south and see them in the water off south-south beach!   These knuckleheads are swimming in a thunderstorm!  At least they had the sense to get out of the water and walk back rather than swim back.  By the time we got back to the parking lot it was pouring cats and dogs.

Knuckleheads!

1 comment:

James Biles said...

Knuckleheads! Or what we called in the Navy "Boneheads"!

A word of advice form an advid swimmer and former Navy Diving Officer.....lightening and water do not mix. I have seen first hand the effects of a strike on water...lots of fish floating in unnatural positions.

For the 3-5 year olds out there, do not swim in a thunder storm!

I want to be able to see my friends on the beach and in the water, not under the ground.