Friday, September 4, 2020

Exploring the Other Side

 Next Swims:

        Mon-Fri 6AM and 5PM  (we're on the verge of shifting the 6am swim to maybe 6:15?)
        Saturday/Sunday 8AM and Noon
        Monday...? stay tuned since it's a holiday.  We may do 8 & 12.

Last Swim:  Friday 6am
Water Temp: 61.5
Air Temp:  60's, a mite chilly
Clarity: A-MAYYYYYY-Zingggg
Waves: Glass
Kru: Showgirl, Linda the Lamprey, Ala, Dragonfly, Friends of Lydia the TTL, additional unknown guy, Aliens

Driving over the Hoan Bridge was just like a painting, luminous radiant orange pre-dawn to the East and blackness with city lights to the West.  The Northwestern Mutual building was a dark steel blade reflecting fiery pink.

Arriving at Klode, the barriers had already been moved.  I reflected how much better life would be if all barriers were as light and portable as the ones guarding the Klode beach parking lot.

Linda, Showgirl & I were the only three who met up at the flagpole.  Unknown guy had already gone down.  When we arrived at the beach we noted three flying saucers silhouetted against the sunrise:


It quickly became clear that some Aliens had heard there was extraordinary Lake Michigan swimming to be had this morning.  Showgirl caught this photo of them setting out:


Exploring the Other Side can be irresistible, as I found out myself.  Showgirl reported the temp as 61.5. While that is on the chill side, I went more by nonverbal cues, like how comfortable she seemed standing in the water.  So I elected to go skin as did Showgirl & Linda.

The reward was water that felt distinctly warmer just past the rocks.  "Mudslide," I said to myself.  Swimming felt good - the water was calmer even than pool swimming, crystal clear revealing whatever might be on the bottom, and the sun rising as we swam., waning Full Moon on our left.  So much goodness!  Only one tiny fly in the ointment: it felt....cold.  Nearing mudslide I noticed that the very surface of the water seemed to be the coldest - evaporation, maybe?  My arms began to feel chilled.

I tagged the Mudslide staircase and turned back, passing the three aliens still heading out.  They revealed themselves to be Friends of Tatooed Lady.  The Saucer Aliens must have been on an earlier shift.

The return trip felt like a slight current push, but right away I started to feel cold.  And colder.  And colder.  This isn't usually a problem as I'm pretty good about pairing my planned distance with my temperature tolerance.  But today I miscalculated, staring to shiver WHILE SWIMMING...and only mid Rock Wall!  This was new territory.

Time to bring the mental game.  I decided getting out and walking might be even colder.  Plus, I didn't really want to. "I can do this, I can do this," I chanted, resisting the urge to windmill and waste energy, staying focused on technique and efficiency.  

Even as I wrestled within myself, I felt so alive to the magical beauty all around and so fortunate to be here.

At birches, I thought, "I've been here before."  Funny how one feels so much more confident in "known waters."  

Through the rocks, the water again noticeably colder and I charged hard into shore.  Showgirl & Linda were also shivering into their clothes.  My hands were shaking so hard I could hardly get dressed. So glad I brought a fleece jacket and hat.  It felt a little like being drunk, with a disconnect between the inner cognition, which felt fine, and the outer expression of such.  And without the euphoria.

But the sun gradually warmed us as we sat in the sun, consuming coffee and bagels.  And I was in the car when I discovered the dangerous secret....on the Other Side of Hypothermia....Endorphins!

p.s. Photos courtesy Showgirl

2 comments:

Showgirl said...

Plus extra bonus-- it was ANOTHER full moon swim.

Magic Mike said...

Sorry I turned over and went back to sleep. Sounds like I missed a good one!