Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Bring it! *

Next Swims:
        Mon-Fri 6:30 am and 5pm  <--NEW TIME
        Saturday, Sunday 8 am and Noon

Last Swim: Wednesday 6:15AM
Water Temp: 43.3
Air Temp: 50's, and mercifully no wind
Clarity: amazing
Waves: flat as glass
Kru:  Mermaid Princess, Showgirl


* Bring IT!  Bring your full-sleeve wetsuit.  Bring your booties and gloves.  Bring your fluffy socks and hat for after.  Bring your long down jacket and use it to facilitate changing.

Photo credit:  Mermaid Princess.



There was a lot of pre-swim chit-chat, and plenty of time spent pulling on booties and gloves, followed by a side-seam catastrophe on MP's wetsuit.

And after all that, we finally got in the water and swam north.  The clarity was amazing.  The clouds at the horizon hid an actual sunrise, but there was a momentary explosion of red clouds that was magical.

Today was the maiden voyage of my new Xterra gloves, and I was reasonably happy with them.  This may be a cold-water swim record for me, and even my beloved Flipper Slipper booties didn't keep my feet completely warm.

Nevertheless, I made it to the birches, and MP went a bit further.

The air temperature back at the beach was more of a factor in post-swim shivers than the water, I think.

Back in the parking lot, we continued to re-hash the swim until a car came in, music blaring.  Out jumped a hippy-looking girl holding a............ hula-hoop.  She said she was taking a 3-minute hula break.  She proceeded to do amazing tricks with the hula hoop, and she was still at it as I left.

4 comments:

Luna Laguna said...

Wow! 43.3! You two are amazing! Last night the water was a balmy 47 degrees. Each degree makes such a difference in the forties.

Luna Laguna said...

I forgot to give a shout out to the Tuesday night Kru- Itch, Brick, and Synchro. Synchro tried her neoprene gloves for the first time and stayed in for a long time. Itch and Brick went all the way to mudslide.

Tattoo Lady said...

Wednesday night's Kru was: Brick, Itch, Sandy, and myself, with Wet Taco and a double rainbow for shore support. Water was 46 degrees.

RW said...

Hi - Since you mentioned Xterra I just want to caution you about their customer service. You should never expect to get a refund from them. Check out what the Better Business Bureau has to say. (https://bit.ly/39GnJjn) I am happy to share my own atrocious experience.