Monday, September 7, 2020

Laborious Day

Next Swims:
    Mon-Fri 6:15 am and 5pm
    Saturday/Sunday 8 am and Noon
Last Swims: Monday at Noon
Water Temp: 53-54 per itch-o-meter, mitch-o-meter and duck-o-meter, 50.5 per macho-meter
Air Temp: 67
Clarity: Murky but not dirty
Waves: gentle swells up to 2 feet, coming regularly
Kru: Itch, Brick, Linda the Lamprey, Mr. and Mrs. Laguna, The Other Dave, Lt MJ, Sandy, Moondaug, Forger, Mr. Bubble, Capt'n
Shore Support:  Kahuna, Kahuna's pooch, Mr. Anonymous, Diablo

So, the shared good news on arrival is that the Atwater buoy reading had gone up a few degrees since this morning.  Couple of us had texted the buoy at 6-7 am and decided to come at Noon instead.  Apparently, thermal equilibrium between Atwater and Klode has been restored, at least temporarily. Almost identical readings at both beaches. 

We get down to the beach and there is a large group of approx 30 young men (boys?) in uniform black shorts and t-shirts, all lined up in knee deep water, taking some group photos.  They're horsing around, too, dunking each other, etc.  Definitely not practicing safe distancing, so we all steered away from them as best we could, and took up our usual spots on the barrier.  The boys had all their stuff lined up on the southern edge of the grass, so they retreated to that area after a while.  Latin style music playing from a boom box someplace in that group.  

By the time we've come back from our swims, the boys are gone.  Shortly thereafter, a group of approx 15 young women (girls?), also wearing different black uniforms shorts and shirts, come along to the same area.  A debate ensues about whether they are a high school or college team - they look very young, but we figured  that there would be parents around if they were in fact high schoolers.  They have some amplified music, too, and about a half dozen of them are demonstrating dance moves to the rest of the group.  I kept wondering if there would be a TikTok video of this soon.  

Killepitsch Toast Time - Kahuna says "We need a bigger circle!", first toast - to Bigger Circles!  Second toast - to the Rights of Labor!  Happy Labor Day - we don't want to work, we just want to bang on the drum all day.  Actually, Todd Rundgren just wants to bang on the drum all day.  The Kru just wants to swim at the beach all day, but that song hasn't been composed or released yet.  

I Want to Bang on the Drum All Day
Todd Rungren, 1983

I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
Ever since I was a tiny boy
I don't want no candy, don't need no toy
I took a stick and an old coffee can
I bang on that thing till I got blisters on my hand because
I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
When I'm older they think I'm a fool
The teacher told me I should stay after school
She caught me pounding on the desk with my hands
But my licks was so hot I made the teacher wanna dance
And that's why
I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
Take this, every day when I get home from work
I feel so frustrated the boss is a jerk
And I get my sticks and go out to the shed
And I pound on that drum like it was the boss head because
I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day





11 comments:

Moondaug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lieutenant MJ said...

Wait a minute...I thought those temperature readings were in the 50's? If not why were we all so frozen when we got out?

Moondaug said...

Duck-O-meter quacked 53 F.

Mr. Bubble said...

Hey, I don't want to work! I just want to bang on the drum all day...remembering two digit numbers is hard work.

Lieutenant MJ said...

Hey - I just wanted credit for the temp - lol

Super Hera said...

Has anyone been in the water this week? Holding out hope that if I can just get down to the lake its warmth and beauty will make up for this decidedly NOT warm or beautiful weather.

jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wytosk said...

Itch? Diablo? The buoy has stayed around 62 - could it be true?

jamie said...

60° tonight(Thursday).....A very homogeneous 60° with warmer pockets.
Conditions less than ideal but a lovely swim none the less.

Wytosk said...

We have a window tomorrow! Winds out of the east-southeast. Be there or be square.

eric jernberg said...

Going at 5pm still