Saturday, September 19, 2020

A Mild and Non-frightening Collision

  Next Swims:

            Mon-Fri 6:15 AM and 5 PM
            Sat, Sun 8AM and Noon

Last Swim:  Saturday 8 AM
Water Temp:  60 per Fly-o-meter, warmer past the rocks
Waves:  Much calmer & bluer, gentle 1-foot swell 
Clarity:  A little. Could read watch.
Kru:   Lt. MJ, Kim and Magic Mike, wetsuits; Mr. Anonymous and Handyman Hank, lava pants; Linda The Lamprey, Pool Noodle and Dragonfly, skin.

The Air temp was low 50s but brilliantly sunny.  It was my first time reporting a water temp to the group, and I felt a great sense of responsibility as I waded in up to my knees.  Hmm, didn't feel too bad.  I even used Itch-type hand signals to report as everyone watched expectantly.

One of the very few things that worries me about open water swimming, is running into another swimmer.  That happened today but in the most non-violent and un-frightening way imaginable.  I was on my return and actually scanning ahead for others when Handyman Hank T-boned me from the side, as he was on a course heading inshore.  But it wasn't like a collision, it was just that suddenly these hands were sort of walking across my back.  We both popped up and said "Hi!" and immediately scootched away for social distance.  "Where did you go?" he asked and when I told him, "Start of Rockpile" he said, "I'll go there."  Or something like that.

Start of Rockpile was a good distance for me today.  The rocks gleamed white in the sun and set off the flaming reds of a few maples that already turned their leaves.   (At least I assume they were maples.  Have to include a disclaimer as the Klode Kru has so many amateur botanists, like Kahuna and Thanos the Magnificent.  During the early season Phlox controversy Kahuna referred to "The Botany Corner" as Thanos and I compared our "favorite weeds." And no, hemp was not mentioned, you gutter-minds.)

I did feel cold and ready to be done upon reaching shore.  Everyone finished their swims within not too many minutes, despite the varying distances covered - some went to Mudslide -- and whatever their layer of neoprene, people were uncharacteristically silent as we went through the laborious business of shedding wet gear and getting into warm dry clothes, all while shivering wildly.

Handyman and I briefly rehashed our close encounter and this did spark a short discussion about what rules might govern right-of-way in open-water swimming situations.  Does freestyle have right-of-way over breastroke?  I could only conclude that, just like with car traffic, since Hank ran into me from the side, that I probably had the right-of-way.  Thoughts?

Pool Noodle commented that even had she been wearing a wetsuit, she probably wouldn't have wanted to go much beyond Mudslide.  "I'm thinking about transitioning to the pool," she added.  "I want to work on my stroke more, and when I'm cold, I just don't care."

We parted with promises to meet again on Sunday.




No comments: