Sunday, August 9, 2020

What's in a name?

 Next Swims:  

     Mon-Fri @ 6 am and 5 pm, 
     Saturday/Sunday @ 8 am and Noon  
Last Swim: Sunday @ 8 am
Water Temp: 65
Air Temp:  low 80s
Clarity:  Nope
Waves: Wavier than yesterday, maybe 12-18"

Kru:  Patriarch, Handyman Hank, North Shore Nancy, Lieutenant MJ, Cindy, Linda the Lamprey, Showgirl, Panini, Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Chris, Amanda, Laura, Dragonfly, Magic Mike (think he was there yesterday too) perhaps others?

For the record and posterity, I was not among the 5 who swam to Big Bay and back yesterday.  That would be Brik, Itch, Capt'n, Rosie & Sandy.  I did however provide shore support.

The sky looked rather gray and unpromising, and the water a bit forbidding as the 65 degrees was announced.  Chris did not hesitate, he skinned into his wetsuit and plowed straight in to the North.   The rest of us dithered and procrastinated along more slowly.  A few went wetsuit, others committed to skin.   Then we saw Chris, beyond the rocks changing direction and heading South, so that decided the rest of us, and it was a good call.

There was a distinct chill compared with previous days, especially nearer the rocks. On paper the waves don't look that high - 1 footers to 1.5 - but in reality there was a lot of up and down and I felt  I was being slopped toward shore.  I had to keep angling out to compensate.  A number of us went to the South Sewerpipe, others went beyond.  Just as Showgirl and I turned, the sun broke through the clouds in a very dramatic and satisfying way.  The sun makes everything so much better.  Suddenly the black and white movie is in gorgeous living technicolor! The way back seemed a little easier, even though I ended up further out.  A couple times I felt a nice surfing action getting at one with the waves.  

Yesterday the topic of nicknames came up again....How DOES one get a nickname?  My advice is....Just. Keep. Swimming.  Eventually something uniquely "you" in will develop...and stick.  Some people take longer than others to acquire names.  Stickler for example took an entire season with some of our best minds working on it.

The other weird phenomenon from yesterday - two different people had seen someone that "looked just like me" at events in recent days.  Fortunately I had an answer, as this happens to me fairly frequently:  "My doubles are everywhere!"  



1 comment:

Mr. Bubble said...

Thanks for the updates, D!
Arrived at 8:15 and saw about eight people, including handyman, MJ, Cindy, Patriarch and Panini, standing in waste deep water, with your elbows bent to tightly as could be bent, and staring down the water. They all took off by the time I got my gear. I Swam out to the new rock pile, which took me a while. Everybody from the Kru was gone by the time I came back, although another Couple swam in just as I was heading up the hill.