Monday, August 24, 2020

Upside Down World

Next Swims:  
        Sun 8am and noon, 
        M-F 6am and 5pm

Last Swim: Monday 6am
Air Temp: Mid 70's and humid
Water Temp: 48.3, yes, that's right
Waves:  Flat as glass
Clarity: Amazing!

Kru:  Brick, Showgirl, with Mr. Anonomyous and Diablo on the early shift

Shore support: a gaggle of noisy, non-socially-distant teenagers and Flipper guy showed up just as I was exiting the water.  After my report on the temperature, he decided not to go in

The sun was a huge red ball as I rolled into the parking lot.  Mr. A and Brick were already on the beach, and, Mr. A had already swam.  He said, "it feels colder than yesterday."
Mr. A supervises the non-traditional temperature taking.

Brick trailed his thermometer into the water, keeping his feet dry.  While I was not confident about his methods, I knew I was going to swim, regardless.


I suited up and got into the water. It’s daunting to swim into fog.  When I finally put my face in, the amazing clarity of the water felt like the exact opposite of the foggy air above it.  Every ripple of sand, every rock, every interesting item on the bottom was magnified. It made me want to keep swimming in spite of my freezing face and hands, just to keep seeing the incredible underwater world below me.


We headed north around the rock pile, but given the fog, I cut in for the shore.  I knew from other foggy swims that even though the fog seems impenetrable, when you're out in it, you can easily see the shore.  Nevertheless, it felt better to stay close to land.  I went past the birches, and the last time I saw Brick he was breast-stroking north.  Another phenomenon of the fog:  as I stopped swimming to look around, I was in a bubble of clear, un-foggy air, but could see the fog all around me.  It all felt magical.

After the swim I put MY thermometer in knee-deep water and got 48.3.

Swimming may be the clarity in our lives to counteract the fog of the outside world.


3 comments:

Luna Laguna said...

I'm a little nervous to get in the water after feeling what 53 degrees was like yesterday... Bravo to everyone who has been swimming in the 48-53 degree water! You are amazing! xo Luna Laguna

eric jernberg said...

I got 48.8 after the swim, did you leave the stones in my crocks. LOL

Luna Laguna said...

It was 56 degrees tonight, so not too bad! Itch, Handyman Hank, Laguna and I went sans wetsuit, and Rosie and Eric wore theirs. Lots of patches of warmer and colder water. I'm personally still hoping for warmer waters.