Sunday, August 9, 2020

This Great Privilege

 Next Swims:  

     Mon-Fri @ 6 am and 5 pm, 
     Saturday/Sunday @ 8 am and Noon  
Last Swim: Saturday @ 12 am
Water Temp: 67
Air Temp:  mid-80s, brilliant sun
Clarity:  not much
Waves: wind & current out of the south

Kru:  Diablo, Wet Taco, early shift.  Capt'n, Itch, Brik, Rosie, Sandy, Mr. Anonymous, Dave, Not Dave's wife, Other Dave, Abby, Chris, Dragonfly, others too numerous to name

Walking down I was explaining to Abby that I couldn't make the 8 a.m. swim but noon was "better than nothing."  Even as the words were out, I wanted to snatch them back.

Itch's ears twanged and he shook an admonishing finger.  "This great privilege!" I amended.  "And I am really excited to be here!"  True.

I reflected on this exchange as we swam South.  What's up with the pink spray paint on the rocks at intervals, as if some construction or power line is planned?  A struggle against the current, a little easier on the return.

A group of five swam all the way to Big Bay....and back....a distance of some 4,000 yards.  Brik popped out of the water and immediately headed over to his cooler, sharing some homemade hot sweet pickles.  Their cool crunchiness was a perfect recovery snack.

He, Sandy & Rosie also shared shots of "non-alcoholic Pitsch" - Pickle Pitsch, I suspected.

The rest of us had the real thing.  I made the toast:  "To this great privilege."

The twinkle in Itch's eye rewarded me.

On the way up, I was describing to Brik the side effects I experienced from a Shingles vaccine shot earlier in the week:  "Chills, muscle aches, headache..."

Sandy overheard.  "Covid?!" she asked, visibly backing away.

"No!"  I assured her, but certainly understood.

Thank you to everyone who continues to mask up and socially distance, even outdoors.

No comments: