Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Warm and wavy

Next swim: Tuesday, 6pm

Last swim: Tuesday, 6am
Water temp: probably near 70, but Showgirl will have to correct in the comments
Water quality: generally clear
Waves: 1-3 footers
Kru: Showgirl, Mr. Anonymous, Pool Noodle, Magic Mike

Seems like there is some energy building out there in the lake today. Walking down the path, I could hear small waves, the ones that only break right at the shore and that you don’t really notice until you get close. I saw the other swimmers in a line headed toward sewerpipe with about 40 yards between them. They each had a barbie bobbing behind them, and the waves were bouncing them around a bit. As I swam out, considerably behind the others, it seemed I had to bust through some larger waves to get beyond the rockpiles. And by the time I was midway through my swim, I was up and down in pretty big waves. On shore, it was evident that some sizeable waves had recently reached a place higher on the beach than the rest. It might be an active afternoon swim, if this keeps up.

Another odd feature of the swim was the patch of turbid waters between the rockpile and sewerpipe. Otherwise really clear, the waters were stirred up enough that I could not see bottom in this patch. This was also the spot on the swim where there was a lot of flotsam to dodge: leaves, sticks, branches, small logs, etc. It’s never the same swim twice.




4 comments:

Kahuna said...

Buoy says 73 degrees right now.

But sometimes the buoy lies to me, just to try to lure me down to the beach. Then WHAM! BAM! KAPOW! ZAP! WHACK! BIFF!

And the distant sound of HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!

Showgirl said...

I had 69.5 on my thermometer. Mr. Anonymous was there too.

And hordes of those wormy things. I heard the quahog mussel is its only known predator.

Forger said...

Unfortunately I missed the mornings swim. I hope we don't have an imposter Forger out there.

anyway
I’m the lucky TriWI member who won a free entry to Ironman Wisconsin. 2019. I thought my full IM 140.6 days were over but fate decided otherwise. So I have decided to bring a worthy cause to my training and event participation. I am dedicating my race to fighting ALS and fund raising for the Les Turner ALS Foundation. I find I do not really understand a disease until a love encounters it. ALS is an ugly one. Please consider hitting the following link and donating to fight ALS.

http://events.lesturnerals.org/site/TR/Events/General?px=1195657&pg=personal&fr_id=1330

Magic Mike said...

Oh geez, sorry Mr A. and Forger. I confused the two of you. Considering the fact that I only ever saw you from 500 yards away, I hope you’ll forgive me. I’ll adjust the report to reflect the proper Kru roster for the day. Thanks for the corrections.