Thursday, August 22, 2019

From table top to washing machine

Next swims: Thursday 6pm, Friday 6am, 5:30pm

Last swim: Thursday, 6am
Water temp: 71
Water quality: dirty and stirred up
Waves: 3-4 footers, a lot of energy out there, not organized
Kru: Capt’n, Ziggy, Showgirl, Mr Anonymous, and Magic Mike. Sir James on the early shift; Ala and Matt on the late shift.

I lay in bed this morning thinking about not swimming. But then the force of habit propelled me up and toward Klode with memories of yesterday’s placid sunrise swim still echoing around in my brain.

The table top flat water we swam into yesterday


That is not what greeted swimmers this morning. Instead, I took a peek as I drove past Big Bay and saw some pretty rough waves. Got to Klode and walked to the bluff and said to myself, If the water’s not warm, I’m not going in. By that time Capt’n and Ziggy and Showgirl had arrived and we walked down to the beach. Mr A joined us as we made landing in the sand. That’s about when Showgirl said, “If the water’s not warm, I’m not going in.” Just what I was thinking.

The water was warm, but rough. Waves were big, and unpredictable. I swam to birches getting tossed around the whole way. Twice I almost got flipped over by a wave cresting right on top of me. As we were toweling off after the swim, Mr A mentioned how it felt like we were in a washing machine out there. Also just what I was thinking.

5 comments:

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

Evening swim, 6 p.m. Thursday (for anyone interested in ancient history.)
Water temp. 70 - whitecaps to the horizon under a dramatic cloud-dappled sky.
Crew was Patriarch, Itch, Mitch and Dragonfly. Water was cloudy but turquoise and felt clean with little debris except for a big ole log I ran up against near shore past Sewer Pipe on the north. I felt wound up, exhausted and frustrated with work when I arrive a bit late and headed right down to the beach in my business outfit. "Hello new perspective!" I said as I dived in and it was. Emerged feeling tremendously refreshed and renewed.

jamie said...

and there was one more person there...can't remember, let's see who was it?....dry burrito? no. was it Dewy Chalupa? no. Damp Enchiritto? no. Moistened Tostada? no. Watery chimichanga, no. hmmm...maybe Drippy Gordita Crunch? no. Aqueous Quesadilla? no. Clammy Sammi? no. wait i remember it was....Erin, whew, that wopuld've drove me nuts.

Wytosk said...

Drippy gordita crunch coming through!!!

Mr. Bubble said...

This sounds like a great way to ensure that the water stays warm.

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

really regret forgetting to list We'Taco, especially as I quoted myself talking to her in the blog...IOU!