Wednesday, August 14, 2019

There are haiku at the end of this post

Next swim: Wednesday, 6pm

Last swim: Wednesday, 6am
Water Temp: 70
Water quality: clear, then murky, then clear
Waves: big 3-4 feet
Kru: Linda the Lamprey, Magic Mike, Moondaug

Light rain broke out as Linda and I made our way down the path. Once on the beach, Moondaug magically appeared behind us. Big waves reaching high onto the beach greeted us as we slid into the water. The rain stayed steady and light the whole swim.

By the time I reached a point a little beyond birches, I looked out for the other two swimmers. They were hard to find because of the large waves. Moondaug said he thought the waves were ocean-like, because they had a particular power behind them. Agreed. I found that as I scanned the water for the other swimmers, a steady current pushed me further north along the shore. So, despite the fact that the waves were coming in from the north, the current was pushing in from the south. Does that even make sense?

Here’s a haiku-
Droplets on the beach
Changing in the rain’s a pain
Its all just water

Here’s another-
Mini centipedes
Ugly little “wormy things”
Crawling on the beach

Post yours in the comments. Or, if you are Kahuna, post an epic poem.

9 comments:

Kahuna said...

Heads up: It being August 15th tomorrow (Thursday), my office's sixth anniversary, it's the annual Pendleton Legal "emerge from the water and get a nice cup of hot coffee and/or a piece of pastry" day. Anyone wanting a shot of genuine Pendleton Whiskey (motto "Let'er Buck") in their coffee can wrangle that tomorrow morning as well. Cheers.

Kahuna said...

So come to the 6:00 a.m. swim on Thursday morning if you want to partake.

Showgirl said...

Yippee! I will be there.

Kahuna said...

If you missed last week's presentation at Three Lions by Dr. Cuhel and Dr. Aguilar, just this week UWM posted a video of the presentation they gave last January called "A Cold Wind Off the Lake . . . In August?" The video can be viewed at this link: https://uwm.edu/science-bag/category/all-videos/. If you scroll down on that page, you can also see a video of a presentation they gave called "Mussel Beach: The Crushing Weight of Invasive Species."

Showgirl said...

Wavy waters roar,
Silent worms on my blanket,
One was in my car.

jamie said...

let the poor worms be
they just trying to get some
their joy is fleeting

Mr. Bubble said...

Say, I hate to be a spoilsport, but have you all seen the beach advisory warnings? They're saying strong currents and riptides. I was definitely going to go swimming Thursday morning, but I'm not as strong a swimmer as most of you. So I want to be careful with these strong currents

btw - this is not attempted Haiku. I'm very impressed to see everyones poetic talents.

Showgirl said...

Coffee on the beach!
Kahuna's celebration
Couldn't be better.

Wytosk said...

Big waves are my jam! The beach, the beach, my kingdom for the beach.