Thursday, August 1, 2019

Just the three of us

Last Swim:  Thursday, 8/1, 6:00 p.m.
Water Temp:  68 degrees per Itch-o-meter, 66 per sirjames-o-meter
Clarity:  Really nice
Waves:  variable 6 inches to 2 feet
Kru: Mr. Bubble, Itch, Sir James
Next Swims:  Fri. 6 am and 5:30 pm, Sat/Sun @ Noon

Was wondering where everyone was on such a lovely day, and then remembered that visitation for Robin was this afternoon.  I hardly knew her - wish I had the chance to get to know her better. Learned a lot about her from reading her obit.  The tributes that everyone has posted about her have been very touching.   

So, even though it was just the three of us at Klode this evening, I saw once again that the Kru is a special group of people.  My friends who have come out to swim with us have all commented on that, as has Mrs. Bubble, the July 4th chauffeur.  Today's example - in typical fashion, Mr. Bubble is swimming further than expected and doing the breast stroke at a much slower pace than the other swimmers.  Nonetheless, Sir James is waiting on shore to make sure I got back OK, and Itch has left a shot of Killepitsch by my sandals.  

Another reason my swim took longer than usual - I was having a ball.  Literally.  As I'm swimming back, off in the distance, I see what looks like someone's head bopping on the surface.  Could that be Itch?  That head doesn't seem to have much hair, but I don't see the bright orange swim cap he was wearing.  As I get closer, it looks like maybe it's someone with short dark hair - maybe it's Sir James?  Whoever it is, they must be waiting for me, because I keep getting closer - no way I could catch up with Itch or Sir James if they were swimming back, too.  When I finally catch up, I see it's a Spaulding basketball.  A little grungy but fully inflated.  Can't leave litter lying around so I experiment with a bunch of different maneuvers to keep the ball moving as I swim back.  On arrival, Sir James says "For all the effort you put into bringing that ball back, I hope it's signed by Giannis".  

2 comments:

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

WILSON!!!

Kahuna said...

In case you missed it in the prior comments, we need to get a rough count on how many of us plan on attending next week's Kru gathering (pizza, salad and beer night). The Kru is getting together socially next Wednesday, August 7th, at 7:30 p.m. (post swim), at Three Lions Pub, on Oakland Avenue in Shorewood. That night we also will have a special guest appearance by UWM Fresh Water Scientists Dr. Russ Cuhel and Dr. Carmen Aguilar-Diaz, who will give us a presentation/explanation on Lake Michigan water temperature fluctuations. IF YOU COULD PLEASE RSVP ASAP SO I CAN TELL THREE LIONS HOW MANY OF US ROUGHLY TO EXPECT THAT NIGHT, I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. That will enable them to get the room set-up, and have roughly enough pizzas and salad on hand for us that night. SEND YOUR RSVP TO: sandiependleton@gmail.com (when responding, please provide nickname and real name, and also whether you are bringing someone with you). So far, I have RSVP's from between 10 and 14 folks (some respondents are a little iffy as to whether they are bringing a "plus one" as well). I'll publish a blog post this weekend listing the names of the RSVPs I have received. Thanks! -- Kahuna