Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Beautiful Day on the Beach

Next Swims:  Mon & Tue June 17 & 18, 5:30AM,  also 6PM both days if anyone is interested (please comment if you are)

Last Swims:  Sat & Sun Jun 15 & 16 noon both days
Water Temp:  Sat 61, Sun 59
Waves:  small chop on Sat, almost calm on Sun
Water Clarity:  Very Good
Sat Crew:  Diablo, Kahuna, David, Cap'n, Patriarch, with Wonder Woman cheering us on (at least I think she was, when we returned to the beach at the end of our swim she wasn't there, maybe I dreamed the whole thing)
Sun Crew:  Diablo, James, Cap'n, Patriarch, Gumdrop, and special guest Tammy from Minnesota

Even though my water thermometer measured two degrees less than yesterday it actually felt warmer, maybe because of the hot sun, or maybe there was a pocket of cold water where I measured it.  Regardless of the actual temp, it was cold enough and Cap'n did yeoman's work swimming skin to mudslide and back.  James also swam skin, I'm not sure how far he went, all I ever see of him is his wake.

We were joined by Tammy who is vacationing here from Minnesota with her family.  Somehow she found us on the web.  She was good sport, putting up with cold water and our bad jokes, and downing a Killepitsch with us to culminate a great day.

P.S. Bubba where the heck are you??

11 comments:

Showgirl said...

YES to Tuesday at 5:30.

Moondaug said...

Last Swim: Monday 5:30'ish AM
Water Temp: 58 F.
Waves: Very gentle ripples
Water Clarity: OK

I saw Bubba enter @ 6.

Kahuna said...

Speed Gun returns!

Anonymous said...

what was todays temp?

Showgirl said...

Today's temp was "too cold, too wavy, too windy." I was there at 5:30-40am and nobody else showed so I went home and got a little more sleep. :)

Showgirl said...

I'm going to try again tomorrow 6am.

Showgirl said...

Last Swim: Wednesday 5:30am
Next swim... tonight?
Water Temp: 60? maybe warmer
Waves: none, just some swells
Water Clarity: none
Crew: Gumdrop, Showgirl (both in wetsuits) with special post-swim appearance by Heide and her new canine pal, Phoebe

Chris M said...

Hey Guys,

I'm a relative rookie when it comes to open water swimming and definitely 'freeze' up at these colder temps. Anyway can I join you guys over the next 3-4 weeks as I prep for the NYC triathlon??? ps, on the bad side, swim aint my thing. pps, I have Chicago in August, so maybe I can stick with it.... Chris chrismcelduff@gmail.com

thanks to John Taylor for leading me to your blog!

Unknown said...

Cap'n, Patriarch, Gumdrop, James & Diablo~ Thank you for sharing your swim in Lake MI with me on Sunday and for letting this swimming sister tag along! It was the highlight of my vacation to WI. My 1st time EVER to see the lake and I got to swim it too! It was awesome and so much fun. Thank you!

Kahuna said...

Chris -- You are more than welcome to join us. Watch for posted times, and meet in the parking lot a few minutes before the posted time. Cheers.

Stickler said...

Hi all -
If you're looking to buy a sleeveless wetsuit, Xterra has Vortex4 ones on sale - 57% off w/free shipping - until July 15th - see:

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index.php/slp/FASTVTX?utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=18871249&utm_campaign=Summer%2520discount%2520on%2520sleeveless%2520wetsuits

Best,
Lorraine