Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Scenic Route

Next Swims:  Thursday 7/5 6AM and 6PM, both at Klode

Also Gumdrop and Kahuna are proposing a 4th of July "Firecracker Swim".  I think they mean to swim off one of the beaches that have fireworks displays tonight (Klode & Atwater among others).  I'm not sure of the details, if  you guys are serious please provide details.  Personally I'm concerned about boaters with the same idea.  Someone should invent a night swimming beacon.

Last Swims: Tue 7/3 6PM, Wed 7/4 9AM
Water Temp:  Not sure, my thermometer is going crazy, I would guess low to mid 60's, but pockets of 70 or more.
Waves: Calm
Water Clarity: Excellent
Tue PM crew: Mike, Steph, Brain,Crash, Cap'n, Patriarch
4th of July Crew: Dave, Not Dave's Wife, Kim, Alyssa(sp?), Jack, Kahuna, Diablo, Patriarch

Today we swam south from Big Bay, which I had never done before.  There are large boulder fields on the bottom with rocks of all sizes, and the occasional golf ball.  Much more interesting than the flat sand bottom near Klode.  This inspired us to consider a future "Big Bay to Atwater" swim.  I googled it out, it's exactly 1.5 miles following the shore around the point.

Another Lake Michigan mystery:  wherever I swim I see golf balls on bottom.  Where do they all come from?  Did the USS Titleist sink in a storm on it's way to Kohler?


1 comment:

Moondaug said...

Think I'll try a Big Bay firecracker swim @ 9 tonight. Last year one could see several parks fireworks with no boats present.