Saturday, July 25, 2015

Polar Plunge in July

Next Swims:  Sunday July 26th 1PM, Monday July 27th 6AM

Last Swim: Saturday July 25th 9AM
Water Temp:  49, but possibly even colder
Waves: Calm
Water Clarity: Excellent
Crew:  So I forgot to bring my notebook to the beach so I'm doing this by memory and there were a lot of people there, including some I never met before, so here is as much as a senile old man can remember.  Pam, Michael, Lenore, Raphael, Anna, Kelly, Liz, Blondie, Mr. Anonymous, Scott, Diablo, Nanook, Gumdrop, Mark, Renee, Jackie, Kelly, Showgirl, Capt'n, Patriarch.  I'm sure I've missed some, sorry!
Skin:  Kudos to Lenore, Nanook, and Diablo, who swam skin to sewer pipe and back in frigidly cold water.  I don't know how you do it, I can't even manage it in a full wetsuit.

Our hopes of a Big Bay swim were dashed by frigid water.  Almost unbelievably the water temperature  at the beach has dropped over 20 degrees in just 48 hours.  All is not lost however. The warm surface water that was here two days ago is pooled just offshore and the winds are predicted to turn onshore this afternoon, so the warm water might blow back in.  Or maybe not.  It's impossible to predict and you never really know until you get there. I'll be back Sunday at 1PM hoping for the best.  

1 comment:

rsm said...

we got scones out of it though!