Sunday, July 15, 2018

Don't Call Me Shirley

Next Swims:  Monday-Friday 6am and 6pm

Last Swim: Sunday noon
Water: Still mostly cold, 55-ish but with a thin layer of warmer water on top, though definitely not near the rockpile or inside the rocks
Waves: flat
Clarity: crystal clear
Crew: Itch, Magic Mike, Drangonfly, Davida, Michael (NOT Mike!), Handyman Hank, Mr. Anonymous, Showgirl, Stephanie, Cool Hand Luke, Mr. Bubble (Mitch's new nickname) and a Linda the Lamprey sighting as I left the area at 2-ish

It was a weird weather day. As I biked over, there was plenty of wind, so I was expecting waves, but at beach level the air was calm and the water was flat. As we went down the ramp there was so much fog that the water was mysteriously invisible.

The thermometers yielded wild temperature variations, but the bottom line was........ cold.  Again. Some suited up, others went skin, and we headed north into the fog. The warm air makes it a lot easier to get into cold water, but there was still plenty of shrieking about the cold. Or that could have just been me.

It was food truck Sunday again at Klode, so my whole swim was powered by thoughts of what I was going to eat afterward.

Back at the beach, nearly everyone who exited the water made the same comment about how breathtakingly cold the water was just off the rockpile. However, if you managed to achieve escape velocity past the insanely cold water, you were rewarded by several patches of warmer water. 

Finally, please allow me to offer some clarity on a few swimmer names:  Davida is David with an A, Ara is R-a not Air-a, our newest swimmer is Michael not Mike, and Mitch has achieved nickname-hood as Mr. Bubble.

To the best swim of the season.

5 comments:

Magic Mike said...

Monday morning Mike (Laguna) and I swam, while Moondrop Gumdawg supervised on his SUP. Water was flat as a pancake, and clear as can be. Also it was cold. Somewhere around 55, said the thermometer under the rubber duck. Really cold said the gasps from Mike as he ventured in without a wetsuit. For some reason, the water between the rock piles remains the coldest around. It was a little less cold north of the birches.

Mr. Bubble said...

I embrace my newly acquired nickname. Wonder how many of you remember seeing ads for Mr. Bubble back in the day?

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

I certainly do!

Moondaug said...

Conditions at the shipwreck earl afternoon were perfect. Mid sixties on top and mid fifties few feet below at the thermocline. It was like a nice warm bath and cooling tub all at once. Also, clear as a bell still and nicely timed smallish surf.

thelmalu said...

I saw you leaving the water when I arrived with my two grandsons Sunday noon. My water temp probe said 52.1 and my ankles said 'you can't do it', but after only half an hour more my probe climbed into the low 60's and my ankles said 'go'. Almost flat and felt wonderful.

--thelma