Sunday, August 30, 2015

Finally Out of the Forties

Next Swims: Mon Aug 31 through Fri Sep 4th, 6AM each day

Last Swims: Sat Aug 29th 11AM
Water Temp: 47
Waves: 1-2 foot rollers
Water Clarity: Murky
Crew: Itch, Showgirl
Wetsuit/Skin: 1/1
Pitsch: 5

Sun Aug 30th 11AM
Water Temp: 50!  (after 12 days in the forties)
Waves:  Small Rollers
Water Clarity: Murky
Crew: Sandy, Diablo, Crash, Scarface, Monica, Mr. Anonymous, Mark, Forger, Itch, Showgirl, Mighty Mac, Capt'n, Gumdrop, Patriarch
Wetsuit/Skin: 1/13
Pitsch: 12

I never thought I'd see the day when I'm happy to see 50 on my water thermometer. But today is that day.  After twelve days of forties it finally warmed (if you can call it that) to that magic number which is my minimum swim temperature.  Even with full wetsuit, booties and three caps, the first couple minutes were brutal, but after that it actually was OK.  It felt so good to be back in the water that I was at mudslide (a half mile from our starting point) before I knew it.

Everyone seemed to agree that the coldest patch was right near the rock piles where we start, so perhaps that means that warmer water is finally coming in.  Let's hope so.

In the mean time we're toughening up.   We would have never considered swimming at 50 before, much less the forties that the bad asses were swimming in all week.  Three cheers for the swimmers that kept swimming during this arctic blast.  I'm very happy to join you in the water again.

No comments: