Saturday, November 21, 2020

What time on Thanksgiving Day? 11 am?

Next Swims: Mon - Fri 3:30pm
Saturday/Sunday at Noon

Last Swim: Saturday Noon
Water Temp: 45
Air Temp: 40
Clarity: pretty nice - maybe 5/10
Waves: gentle 1 footers with occasional 2 footer
Kru: Itch, Brick, Rosie, Dragonfly, Mr. Anonymous, Mr. Bubble, Sunatic (aka Lunatic and Sunny), Ala, Rachel (first time in 2 months
Shore Support: The Other Dave, Sandy 


So, first things first...several people, including myself, were asking "When are we swimming on Thanksgiving Day?"  I was a proponent of Noon, thinking that was when the sun would be highest in the sky.  Sunny claims that since the clocks were turned back, 11 am is the high time. Itch suggested 10 am, trying to be considerate of when the thanksgiving cooks might have a break in their cooking schedule.  So, please comment on whether you think 11 am is the best bet or would rather see another time.  

Now, getting back to today.  It was a sunny day, not a cloud in the sky.  So, of course, a whole bunch of Kru-nicks wanted to go to the beach, and we were glad we did.  Something about that bright sun - it makes you feel warm!  As I was swimming, I kept thinking I could feel the sun warm up the surface water.  When I came back and was swimming between the rocks, the sun was shining directly in my face, and it felt warmer every time I came up for air.  This was probably a hallucination, right?  But then again, when I got out of the water and was bare chested, I felt like I was basking in the sun, getting a tan!  Mr. A must have similar feelings - he went in with his lava pants, gloves and silicon cap.  He was first in and swam while the rest of us were putting on our gear.  He was back just as we were setting off.  

10 comments:

Luna Laguna said...

Solar noon was at 11:38am today, so I was a little off in my estimate!

Mr. Bubble said...

So when is it on Thursday? 🙂

eric jernberg said...

compromise at 10:30?
brick

Moondaug said...

I cast me vote for high noon.

Showgirl said...

I don't have a preference about time, but am willing to sell my vote.

Moondaug said...

Stop the steal!!!

Tattoo Lady said...

I'd be up for an early morning swim, 7am maybe, if anyone is interested.

Wytosk said...

I will return! Not at 7am... sorry TL :(

Mr. Bubble said...

Solar noon is at 1148 am Thursday. According to hourly forecast, warmest temp on Thursday (45°) will be between 11 am and 2 pm.
So, I’m voting for Noon, too. Sounds like there may be more than one shift for people who can’t do it at Noon

eric jernberg said...

What ever the vote is. I demand a recount in front of me!!