Tuesday, November 10, 2020

That Golden Glow

Next Swims: Mon - Fri 3:30pm, and maybe Wednesday at 6:30AM

Saturday/Sunday at Noon

Last Swim: Tuesday 6:30am
Water Temp: 47.something (we'll take it)
Air Temp: 70
Clarity: good
Waves: a little swell
Kru: Showgirl, Panini, Ala Mode, Mr. Anonymous, Dragonfly
Shore Support: 5 Wim Hof-ers (three men, two women)

:

Even without leaves - or leaves mostly on the ground - the Klode hillside is stunning.

A few steps later, a half-inch of sunrise greeted us:



Mr. Anonymous was on the early shift in only his trademark lava pants and gloves.  He emerged just as I was going in and asked for the temp. 

 "47" I answered.  

"It felt warmer," he said.

It did feel mysteriously warmer - less pain in my hands, maybe I am just getting acclimatized.  The air above the surface definitely felt warmer, as I surprised myself by swimming past kayak and turning at one of the numerous birches.  It was noticeable on shore as I worked on the process of not becoming a sand-sicle. 

You have to take off your wetsuit and socks, then return to your towel to dry your feet before putting your pants on.  Ideally you would then return to the water and rinse your feet again and your swimming suit.

I gave the suit a business-like shake and for my feet deployed my secret weapon....a thermos of hot water!  Both my feet and also, on really cold air temperature days, my hands are always excited to receive the hot water.  I rinse off my feet, dry them and apply wool socks.  Yes!

Ala proclaimed it was her best cold water swim ever.

Making my trips back and forth to the water's edge I kept stepping over a driftwood sculpture inspired by Chihuly the glass blower.  I should have taken a photo but I just. didn't.  I mused on this later and concluded that as important as this blog is to me, it isn't everything...

I know, you're shocked.

There are somethings that you just have to come to the beach and see for yourself.

Afterward, Ala captured this shot of the sun moving higher:


And I caught this one, looking the opposite direction toward a dramatic dark northern sky:



It looks way more dramatic on my phone.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.









No comments: