Monday, November 30, 2020

Lake Michigan. Unsalted. Sharkfree.

Next Swims: Saturday/Sunday at Noon

Possible random a.m. swims:  M-F 6:30 a.m.

I thought I heard the afternoon swims are no longer on because of the early sunset times?  Please comment and I will adjust.

Last Swim: Sunday at Noon
Water Temp: 43 per Itch-o-meter
Air Temp: 46 degrees, west wind at 9 mph
Clarity: Very nice - 8-9
Waves: Pretty flat
Kru: Itch, Rosie, Diablo, IceDaug, Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Sunny Luna Laguna, Dragonfly
Shore Support:  Showgirl, Squeeze o'Showgirl

I totally stole that headline off a bumper sticker.

Sunday was everything you could want in a late Fall swim: good company, toasts and brilliant sunshine smiling over all.

The sun was forecast to disappear by noon but stayed throughout the swim and all-important post-swim.  We geared up, chit chatting with Showgirl & Squeeze: hot topic, Retirement:  At What Age To?  In head-to-toe neoprene with double foot layer, TTL and I were first in.  I felt like a kid bundled up to play in the snow with arms sticking straight out, but felt, blissfully, nothing for a few moments until  water started working down my back and it was time to swim.  I dove, catching that last instant of face over lake bottom, then stroked rapidly to the rocks.  Hmm, not too bad. Only my face was exposed and it was adapting.  Though I had to consciously keep my mouth shut when face down to keep the cold out.  In warmer temps, I grimace - somehow exposing the teeth helps forward progress.

Sun sparkled everywhere as we headed north, past the garage and kayak.  I saw the Rockwall ahead and went for it, thinking, I hope I don't reqret this! as lately I have found the returns more challenging than the heading out. But felt way more energy than I had last week at this same spot.  It was a good long swim and the others went further than me.  Luna to New Mudslide and others to Red Canoe (beyond Mudslide). 

"Beautiful!" Luna announced.  "I didn't want it to end!"  

But then.  Battle against Afterdrop, race against Hypothermia and "a desperate struggle" as Robert Falcon Scott said about returning from the South Pole.  

"I always feel like I'm taking my wetsuit off for the first time," Luna commented.

"Yeah - it's like I've never done it before," I agreed.

As Luna, TTL and I were almost dry and re-garbbed, Icedaug showed up for a quick headless skin dip.  Afterwards he declared, no Afterdrop!  He had a thermos of hot spiced hard cider laced with nutmeg, cinnamon and brandy which he shared out generously. Delicious!

TTL suggested a Monday a.m. swim.  I am sorry to report that this idea was met with groans and even laughter when I said, "That's a lot to ask." Harsh!

Diablo, Itch and Rosie came in.  It was announced that Rosie is turning 21 on December 7!  On a celebratory note, Itch kept singing the melody from "Do the Hustle" a disco tune for those readers under 40.

A toast to  Best Swim of the Season.  Then the hike up to the parking lot on wooden block feet but with a satisfied heart.


2 comments:

Showgirl said...

I found this great youtube channel by a cold water swimmer in the UK. She posts lots of useful info, though my favorite might be this new word, "bioprene" as in our own insulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohX6QIjstU

Wytosk said...

On instagram I follow swimwild_uk
Holy moly she’s awesome. Scotland looks amazing for swimming. Who the hell woulda guessed THAT?!