Friday, June 22, 2018

Three Strikes, but... Elephants and Lions!

Next Swims: Saturday, Sunday noon

Last Swim:    NO
Water: 58.5F
Clarity:          NO
Waves: YES- 2 foot disorganized
Crew: NO (maybe Diablo)
Shore Support:Showgirl
Skin/Suit:  NO

Last Ride on the Ghost Train: Thursday 9:00PM, 9:15PM, 9:30PM
Water: YES (falling from the sky)
Custard:         YES
Scoopy: NO
Crew: Kahuna, Patriarch, Showgirl, Icedog, David, Austin, plus hundreds of nameless others

Well, this morning was pretty much in full violation of my Rule of Goodness. There was cold air, cold water, and plenty of annoying waves. There were no other swimmers to join me in the water. There were no cars in the lot, no walkers, no dogs, no yoga-moms, no seagulls, no cormorants.

There was the usual abundance of beauty and peacefulness, so I took a few moments to enjoy that, and went home to drink coffee.

But you're not here for my swimming update. You want to know about last night's ride on the Circus Train. It was awesome! I was undaunted by the rain, the thousands of other train-viewers, nor by the teenage cynicism of my son and his friend.

Unfortunately, I was so caught up in my enthusiasm to acquire custard, that I missed being on the bridge for Kahuna's Greater Shorewood Bikers photo-op.  However, I did fight my way thru the crowds, and was below watching the train. I heard Kahuna enthusiastically directing hundreds of cyclists across the bridge in sync with the first run of the train.

The excitement continued to build as the 9:15 southbound train came and went. Finally, it was time for the main event. The custard was long gone. We eagerly stood on the Corner Bakery's crowded patio, in breathless anticipation of the Circus Train. The horn blew in the distance. Circus music played, dazzling lights flashed, lions roared, elephants trumpeted, birds squawked, and then... as quickly as it came, it rolled off into the distance, never to be seen again. (Until Saturday.)

Scoopy was a no-show.

p.s. Sunday is my Klode Kru swim-a-versary. This is my NINTH summer swimming with the Kru. If you come and swim with me on Sunday, I guarantee the same level of excitement and delight as a ride on the Circus Train.

5 comments:

Kahuna said...

Kahuna will be at Three Lions at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow (Sunday) morning for a proper English Breakfast, a pint and to watch England v. Panama.

Kahuna said...

I'm forming a team to compete in the "'Save The Nuts!' 1st Annual Charity Tricycle Race" at Three Lions Pub, this Thursday Evening. This is a charity event supporting the Testicular Cancer Foundation. Teams are composed of 8 persons, and the pub provides the adult sized trikes. I need 7 other members to have a team. I'm paying the entrance fee for the team. You can find out more about the event by going to eventbrite.com, and then searching on "Save the Nuts." I think registration stars at 5, races start at 6, but I'm not sure. That's the same night as the Shorewood Criterium, so if you are planning on attending that, why not trike race as well?
I'm not sure of the team name yet, nominations welcome. "Tri Wish"? "Chock Fulla"? "Team Shorewoody"? "The Kiwis"? "Privates On Parade"? "Dr. Shue's Cut-Rate Vasectomy Service"? "Team 'Does She Know About the Shrinkage?'"
I'm also not sure about team uniforms, if any. Again, nominations welcome. Cheers.

Moondaug said...

How about "1 buck deer nuts"?

Kahuna said...

the punch line from an old north-woods bar joke: "Deer Nuts? Gol-dang-it I said Beer Nuts!"

Bikes matter said...

I'll be there if u need riders. Balls to the walls!