Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Sum of its Parts

Next Swims: M-F 6am and 6pm

Last Swim: Tuesday 6am
Water: 53.5F
Clarity: zero
Waves: 1+ foot chop/rollers out of the north
Crew: Mike, Showgirl, no sign of Diablo, but that doesn't mean he wasn't there
Skin/Suit: 2/1

In the immortal words of Frank Sinatra, "Regrets, I've had a few..." This morning, I regretted taking my wetsuit out of my swim bag.

It was a hard sell getting out of bed today, but I did it.  When I arrived in the parking lot, there was one car, and I was super happy to see it was Mike's, and not some dog-walking retiree. (Not that we don't love the dogs and the retirees.)

We headed down the ramp to the beach. Mike casually inquired about the brown tinge along the shoreline. I assured him that it was merely stirred up sand, and not a band of sewage. (I did not tell him that I have no actual basis for that claim.)

I got out my thermometer and stood in the not-warm water.  Down it went. And further down. To 53.5F. I wanted Mike to chicken out so that I could, but no, he just kept putting on his wetsuit. Thus I ambivalently applied the immortal words of Super Hera: "If I came to the beach, I'm going to swim." So I put on my cap and goggles. I also blew up my Barbie and promptly left her on the beach.

Into the waves we went.  Mike zoomed past me. I slogged to the sewer pipe. Er... downspout.  And then returned to the beach. Chilly, but very happy I swam.

This swim was teetering on the complete violation of my personal rule of swimming-- that in order to swim, "There Must Be Some Goodness." Goodness is defined as flat water or warm water or warm air or... other goodness. I guess today the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

3 comments:

Kahuna said...

Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, Mike swimming 3 days in a row in less than optimal conditions.

Looks like the Lake has hooked him, and is reeling him in.

Impressive. Swimming with a monkey on his back (and he's still faster than Showgirl and the rest of us).

rsm said...

and then Showgirl did a conditioning workout as well!

Showgirl said...

Being faster than me does not put you in an elite group of swimmers, lol.