Sunday, July 6, 2014

You never forget your first time...

Next Swim:  TBD

Last Swim:  Sunday July 6th @ 1pm
   Water Temp:  47.4F (8.7C)
   Waves:  < 1ft chop from south
   Clarity:  clear
   Crew: Diablo, Kahuna, Nanook, Kealz, Capt'n with Special Guest appearances by Nivens McTwisp, Jolie, Michael
   Suit / Skin:  4 / 1
   Pitsch Count: 5

You never forget your first time...especially if its a swim in Lake Michigan when the water temp is a mere 47 degrees.  (Officially the Scientific-o-meter registered 8.7C or 47.6F...while the Captn-o-meter registered 47.4 and the Kahun-o-meter registered 48.)  As if the water temp wasn't challenging enough the Lady of the Lake even threw in a chaotic 1ft chop to make things interesting.

Despite the less than ideal conditions first time Lake Michigan swimmer Kealz didn't hesitate to walk the plank with the Kru as well as complete an official swim to the picnic table and back....and might I add that she did so without even an uttering of a "Flaa!" or similar profanity that can sometimes be heard from the Kru when the initial bone chilling bite from the Lady of the Lake attempts to take their breath away.

While there are but a few distinguished Klode Kru members who can boast swimming in water on the minus side of 50...many of whom can even boast that they did so without a wetsuit!...none of them can boast that they logged their first ever Lake Michigan swim in those conditions.  Now the only question that remains...will Kealz ever return to talk about it?  :)

16 comments:

Kealz said...

Unfortunately it seems that I had too much fun today, which means that I will most definitely return. You guys are too nice; just hoping me and the Lake can get on better terms.

Kahuna said...

Kealz -- You showed outstanding fortitude if the face of challenging conditions. Be sure to come back when the Lake is warmer, as it is more pleasant, especially at sunrise on a calm water day. Be warned though that if the temperature is not better the next time you come, you risk being dubbed "Elsa the Snow Queen" or the "Ice Princess." -- Kahuna

brent said...

Three of us were there after the Color run today an hour before you guys. Didn't know it was that cold, and if I did might not have taken the plunge. While Julie and Tori were getting their wetsuits on, I jumped in to see just how cold it was. Definitely cold, but I think that initial tinge made the wetsuit feel even warmer. We did not do the big swim I planned for, but it was still a nice one.

Anonymous said...

Is anyone planning any morning or evening swims this week? I would like to get a couple mile long swims in. Let me know!

Unknown said...

I want to try Wednesday and Friday morning at about 6 am... but water needs to be 50-52+

Unknown said...

Anyone swimming Thursday afternoon or morning? I can do either. I need to get in lake michigan at least once before Racine. Let me know!

NYwxman said...

Hi Guys - I am a meteorologist at WISN12. One of our sales guys (Joe Thomas) suggested I contact you. Would you be available to do a story on coping with the low water temperatures? Maybe tomorrow? My number is 631-807-2422

Waterbug08 said...

I am up for a swim tonight, or any night this week (anytime after 3pm works best)
I am up for any temp!

Unknown said...

How about Thursday at 6? Let me know...my number is 262-224-4773 if you want to get a hold of me that way too.

Kealz said...

I'm dying to get out there again. Let me know when it would be okay for me to tag along, I don't want to slow you guys down.

crash said...

Any of your Kru'ers going to join Jamie Patrick for his epic MKE to Chicago swim? Sir James??? Kimberly??? "Fine Wench" Jessica??? Gui???

Unknown said...

Kealz, I'm an average swimmer...in the pool I do 1.5 miles in about 60 min...going slower or a little faster wouldn't bother me...I'm still in for Thursday afternoon/evening for whoever wants to go.

Waterbug08 said...

I could get there on thursday by 6... and Kealz, i will go any pace, just so long as i get to swim!

Anonymous said...

Got out last night, brutal. At one point Chris and I hopped up on an iceberg and sunned ourselves in our wetsuits looking like two seals in the arctic! J/k...

Will be there Thursday for a swim prior to the Bastille run!

Neo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kahuna said...

I could do either. Maybe 5 was suggested because of the Bastille Day run tonight at 9? Sounds like the consensus though on this string is 6.