Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Cooler" - Friday evening Swim Report

Excited to get back into the lake after Thursday evening's most excellent swim adventure...and a bit pinched for time leading up the TriWisconsin Post Ironman Party...I rushed down to the Klode beach front around 4pm with nothing more than a towel, goggles and swim cap in hand. With the muggy / warm conditions we were experiencing Friday afternoon the thought of cooler water temps didn't even enter my mind....perhaps I've been spoiled by the last 40+ days where a wetsuit wasn't required.

Needless to say I was a bit surprised when I dipped my toes into the water....but not shocked. The water temp was certainly cooler than Thursday but not unbearably cold. If I had to guess I would have placed the temp around 62...certainly not unbearable...but without a wetsuit the swim certainly would be a bit more of a challenge.

Itchin' for a lake swim fix I decided to give it a try...rationalizing that I can always swim shallow and get out if I get too cold. According to the Captn's code, when swimming north from 'north beach', to log an official swim one must swim at least up to the 'garage' and back. So that would be my goal for today.

The near shore water was murky, stirred up from the frequent rolling waves coming ashore. Approximately 50-75 meters from shore (which coincidentally is near the second sandbar) the turquoise blue water could be easily seen...even with the grey skies. As tempting as it was to swim out to the blue water for today's journey I struck a rare vein of sanity and decided to follow the first sandbar which lies approximately 15-20 meters from shore for the voyage up to the garage.

The skin on the arms and chest tingled at first but after a minute or two of brisk swimming I was pleased to find that my internal heater was working just fine. After about 5 minutes of swimming through the small waves breaking around the sand bar I arrived at the garage. 'Ah, that wasn't too bad' I thought to myself as I turned around to swim back to Klode.

With the angle of the waves the journey back was a bit choppier. Enticed by calmer, blue water I decided to venture out deeper....perhaps a sign that either my confidence was building or my sanity was leaving. Consistent with my swim out, the voyage back to Klode also took 5 minutes....for a grand total of 10 minutes of swimming. Unfulfilled I contemplated extending my swim down to south beach and back....while I was starting a get cold certainly it was nothing a little brisk swimming couldn't fix...right???

So I pressed on....swimming in the beautiful blue water out past the second sandbar. (Editor's note: ....so much for sanity.) ...with echo's in my head of the Patriarch proclaiming "what are we nuts???" I rationalized that the blue water was easier and warmer to swim through than the murky water and that it was safer to swim out in the blue water as it was a safe distance from the Klode rock piles....which obviously, since I am still here today, must be true.

Upon reaching the Klode south beach the tingle of my skin felt earlier had returned. So I turned around quickly and began my stretch for home. Forging ahead and visioning a Phelps like final kick to the finish line I quickened my stroke and began to kick harder. Oddly, despite the increased effort, I felt as if I was making little progress....which was probably true.

While I don't proclaim to be a swim coach, nor do I play one on tv, I've heard Josh mention to me on several occasions that swimming has a lot more to do with efficiency than strength and power. So after what felt like an eternity of going nowhere I decided to take a new approach. ....'NO', not go directly ashore as I should have probably done...but I relaxed and swam easy conceding that the situation "is what it is" and that enjoying the moment is why I ventured out for today's swim in the first place.

The round trip from the Klode north to south beach took nearly 10 minutes but happily I found my way back to shore....and very uncharacteristically, without any hesitation. Shivering nearly uncontrollably and with my swim cap and goggles still on my head I walked briskly back to my car. Along the way I encountered the Whitefish Bay HS Cross Country team with coach and personal friend Mike Miller. Without so much as a 'hello' or 'hey how are you' Mike yelled back as he ran past with his team..."you're nuts Ted!"

Which may be true...but I'd like to think that I'm just hopelessly addicted. With that in mind I'll be looking forward to my next Lake Michigan swim adventure...next time with a WETSUIT. :)

Who's game?

-Capt'n

No comments: