Monday, September 15, 2008

Continued Comfortably Cool

With the air temp hovering around 60 and the lake temp website indicating that the water temperature was declining I was worried that I find cold water along the Klode shoreline this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the water temp had changed very little from yesterday and that I would not need to put on my wetsuit for my lake Michigan swim fix today.

The waves have subsided to gentle 1-2ft rolling swells. Upon first arriving on the beach it appeared that we were once again experiencing a high tide as the waves would frequently wash up and completely surround the north rock pile. Entering the water it was apparent that the high tide like appearance was actually the the result of yesterday's waves flattening the beach front as the slope of the beach into the water was no longer present.

As was the case yesterday the water up to the second sand bar was stirred up and brown with sand. Just beyond the second sand bar the water was a subtle shade of iridescent blue with visibility of about 4-5ft. Strangely, the water beyond the second sand bar was also noticeably warmer....perhaps the result of the conveyor belt and potentially a sign that our days of comfortable water temps are drifting away. :(

Besides this there was not much noteworthy about today's swim. My journey this afternoon took me up to the garage, back down past south beach and then a return to north beach. Relaxing....lonely...and a bit eerily quiet. Total elapsed time was approximately 20 minutes. It was very tempting to make another trip up to the garage...but in the back of my mind I was half hoping I'd find someone in the parking lot to join in on the fun. No luck though....perhaps tomorrow? :)

No comments: