Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Kahuna's Fame Spreads

Next Swims: M-F 6am and 6pm

Last Swim: Tuesday 08/07 6am
Water Temp: 61.9
Waves: large chop out of the northeast
Water Clarity: excellent
Crew:  Forger, Mr.A, Showgirl, Flipper Guy

The sun is noticibly lower in the sky at 6am, which makes for lovely sunrises.

I arrived on the beach a few moments after Forger and Mr. A, who immediately requested a temperature reading. My feet knew right away that the water wasn't 70 anymore.  I told them 62F, which was slightly more optimistic than the actual 61.9F.  Even with my rounded up temp, they weren't thrilled.

Nonetheless, we applied our swimming accoutrements, and got in the water.  There was significant chop out of the northeast, that kept pushing us toward the shore.  I slogged my way to the birches, and, thinking I was following Mr. A on his "short swim", I continued on to the staircase at cedar grove, only to realize I was tailing Forger.

I was hoping the annoying chop would push me easily back to Klode, but it felt more like it wanted to wash me ashore.  When we were all back at the beach we agreed it was another washing machine swim. That said, the clarity was excellent.

I assume all of you know about this Saturday's Cream City Classic Milwaukee river swim, and if not, here's the link.  Some of the Kru are competing in the event. (Not me.) And I'm sure others will be onhand to spectate.

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=2454&smid=10718

A few weeks ago in the blog our own Kahuna swam the course and reported on it.  Yesterday, as I lollygagged while listening to WUWM's Lake Effect, I heard Kahuna featured prominently (link below), asking several interesting questions.  Listen here:

www.wuwm.com/post/swimming-milwaukee-river-should-you-jump

4 comments:

Wytosk said...

Since getting my new phone, I cannot get my contacts transferred. And my damn old phone's buttons don't work. Could yall who have my phone number text me with your name (real or kru) so I can add you again? I would also like to send on glorious pitsch pictures from the weekend since no one in their right mind would bestow admin priveleges to me for this blog.

Kahuna said...

OK:
1. Nobody told me before the start of last week's test swim that it was going to be or was supposed to be a race.
2. Susan Bence maybe could have mentioned in her story that the guy who won "the race" (Conner Andrews) is a professional swimmer, who swam on the UW-Madison Varsity Swim Team, and that he's about 25 years of so younger than I am.

But I digress.

Furthering my efforts to promote the Kru and the joys of wild swimming generally, I'm trying to put together a list of all of the Kru members who are signed up to do the Cream City Classic this Saturday. Sir James, Itch, me and who else? I ask because Prof. Joe Brown of Marquette has volunteered to film a short documentary piece re this Saturday's race, and would like to interview some of the participants this week before the race (while he still can, before any of them mysteriously disappear mid-race, never to be seen again). Maybe we can get together members of the Kru who are racing on Wednesday morning at Klode (or someplace else on Wednesday, like at the River), and Joe Brown can meet us there for individual interviews. Let me know in the blog, or shoot me a text message to my cell (414.418.4469).

rsm said...

From the NS Health Department FB page today: Klode and Atwater Beaches have a posted water quality advisory. This means that E. Coli levels were elevated at the last testing and swimming should be done at your own risk. To check the status of any WI beaches: wibeaches.us

Mr. Bubble said...

Hey Kuhuna - Like I was telling you at the beach tonight, I'm signed up and I've made plans to meet up with Joe Brown at Hubbard Park around 5:30-6:00 Wednesday. I contacted him and made these plans before I saw this blog entry.