Saturday, October 19, 2013
End of Season
After Friday's most excellent Pirates Pizza Night celebration, and having accomplished our goal of 100 days straight of Lake Michigan swimming, it seems as good a time as any to formally end the swim season.
I Patriarch of the Klode Kru do hereby declare the 2013 summer swim season closed. Any further swims this year will be counted as "Viking" swims, and the participants thereof considered insane.
Here are some of my highlights of this swim season, please add your own in the comments:
- Those few perfect days when the water was flat calm and clear and the swimming was more like effortless gliding. Some of those days were July 4th, Big Shoulders, and the Shipwreck Swim.
- On the other hand, those few big wave days when it was fun to just roll and splash in the surf.
- Spectacular sunrises over the lake viewed from the water.
- The great post-swim party at McTwists
- The false alarm that caused the North Shore Fire Department to come to the beach in force looking for a non-existent "swimmer in distress"
- The day a most attractive video journalist from channel 12 shows up looking for the swimmers doing a tribute to Diana Nyad, and Capn's reaction to her and his subsequent TV interview.
- The day a record 40 people came to swim, and the water temp plunged to 40 degrees.
- Watching Mike & Co. swim 5 miles across Whitefish Bay.
- Kahuna's Skull and Crossbones flag.
- GTGBFTOFB Day (Get the great big freaking tire off our beach day).
- Best quote of the season: James to Cap'n, "To get swimmers ear you have to be a swimmer"
- Runner up quote: Showgirl, "Once you go skin, you'll never go back."
- Diablo's record breaking skin swim in 46.9 degree water
- Post swim Pitschs.
- Post Swim Door County Cherry Pancakes at Solly's.