Saturday, October 5, 2019

Time Has Come Today

Next Swims: Mon - Fri @ 5:30 pm
 Saturday/Sunday @ Noon

Last Swim: Saturday, 10/5 @ Noon
Water Temp: 53 per itch-o-meter
Air Temp: 57, with intermittent sunshine and strong winds occasionally
Waves: 3-4 feet, coming frequently
Clarity: Brown with lots of plant debris by shore
Kru: Mr. Bubble, Magic Mike, Itch, Diablo on second shift

 There may have been a distortion in the space-time continuum today.

 For starters - I arrive at 11:50. Just one or two non-Kru cars in the parking lot, no bikes in the rack or locked to trees, no one sitting by the flagpole. I wait for a few minutes until I hear church bells ringing - that's the signal it's time to head down to the beach, right? Maybe people are already down there, even though my phone says it's only 11:56.

Head down the hill - nobody's around. Waves are pretty wild but doable, water feels like low 50's, so I wait for a while. Start thinking if no one is coming, maybe I should head over to Atwater, where the water's probably warmer and probably more people on the beach. Head back up and run into Itch and Magic Mike heading down.

Itch does his thing with the itch-o-meter and comes back with the number. We decide to swim south, since that's where the big waves are coming from, but also decide to go around the north end of the big rock pile instead of going out between the rock and steel barrier. Waves seem even higher over there, and they are routinely crashing over the steel barrier.

As we start heading back up, here comes this tall guy with glasses - Diablo! - he's pointing at his watch like we're the ones who are late. He accuses us of not setting our clocks back - we point out that he must not have set his clocks back, since he's coming late.

It doesn't occur to me until later that this may be more than just a simple misunderstanding of what time it is. Especially since it happened twice in about an hour. Finally, I recognize the obvious -

Now the time has come (Time)
There's no place to run (Time)
I might get burned up by the sun (Time)
But I had my fun (Time)
I've been loved and put aside (Time)
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide (Time)
And my soul has been psychedelicized (Time)

No comments: