Thursday, October 13, 2022

The Best-Laid Plans

 Water: 57

Air:  45, slight accelerating SSW breeze
Waves: Tiny ripples, maybe a northerly current (i.e. heading north)
Clarity: Can't remember.  More conscious of a slight film on top of the water
Last swim: 7 a.m. Thursday
Kru: Linda The Lamprey on early shift; Showgirl,  Dragonfly - all skin
Shore Support:  couple Wim Hofers, a guy, a dog & a baby
Next swims: Friday a.m. probably 6:30, Noon Saturday & Sunday



Large red ball sunrise and spectacular shoreline as the colors are finally bursting forth.

I was so certain:  I did NOT want to swim today.  But I was wearing my suit, and when Showgirl and I got down to the beach we saw Linda already in the water....and it did look inviting.

A novel experience, seeing the thermometer go up instead of down.  It made sense, since the air was colder than the water.

The baby in its bright red shirt, sitting in the sand against the calendar-worthy Fall Foliage somehow the final persuasive touch....how bad could it be?

Already shivering in the slight breeze, Showgirl and I eased into the water.  And it was glorious.  Sun on one hand and the moon (waning gibbous) on the other  I made it a little beyond sewer pipe but wisely turned, feeling nibbles of cold along my arms and legs.  My teeth hurt when I turned to breath.  As usual, the water seemed warmer past the rocks. 

Getting out, I knew, would be the worst part.

I must have timed it right.  With the help of Hot Snaps I was into most of my clothing before the Afterdrop hit. Acting on a coldwater blog tip, I left my swimming cap on until I was otherwise dressed.  It seemed to help.
Even my feet were not total blocks of ice, walking up the hill.

And the birthday coffee at the top, with additional Kru members Mermaid Princess, Lt. MJ and Sunny Luna, was worth it all!

P.S.  Hey guys, we are thrilled for you, that you had this amazing, once-in-a-lifetime  living-the-dream experience in Kona & Hawaii....but your Facebook photos are just KILLING us!  Talk about FOMO!!  No hard feelings, though. Truly hope the trip itself was even better than the photos.  (And videos - thanks Ziggy!)