Wednesday, October 28, 2020

"Good Swim"

Next Swims: Mon - Fri 4:30pm, Saturday/Sunday at Noon
Last Swim: Wednesday at 5:00

Water Temp: 46
Air Temp: low 50s and mostly cloudy
Clarity: better, murky but not dirty, 5/10
Waves: flat
Kru: Itch, Brick, Sunny Laguna, Mr. Bubble
Shore Support: Synchro, Vivian, cameo appearance by Magic Mike, Mrs. Mike and K9 Mike

Very nice conditions today.  Yeah, the water was pretty cold, but the air was warmer than the thermal inversion swim on Saturday.  Low 50's air temp felt almost balmy (that could have been a hallucination).  

Sunny being a good role model for Vivian.  Sunny was clad in a long down coat that seemed to go from her neck to her ankles.  She kept saying she was only going to go in for 5 minutes - I thought she's just being modest, she can handle this kind of temperature longer than that.  I kept that thought until I realized she wasn't planning to wear a wetsuit - just her swim suit, swim cap and neoprene gloves.  Sunny headed out right away and hadn't returned by the time I swam out.  When I did come back, first thing I said to her was "You were out there for more than 5 minutes!".  She claims it was 7 minutes.  

I thought for sure Synchro was going to go in as well.  Itch and I were trying to convince her on the walk down, but she wasn't having it.  She quotes Showgirl "Swimming in cold water is not a character flaw" that's what I thought she said anyway, and I was agreeing with it, but then she clarified that Showgirl's quote meant that there was no shame in declining to swim in the cold water.  All that aside...Synchro was very proud of herself that she was able to skip a rock on the water that made a perfect landing on the big rocks.  Alert the media!!

At Killepitsch time...a moment of silence while trying to think of a toast.  Itch finally utters it very softly without bravado..."Good Swim".  



3 comments:

eric jernberg said...

If anyone is interested, I am hosting an outdoor movie night at my house on Friday October 31st. Its a family friendly (kinda corny) haunted house movie. We will start at 6:30 pm, my address is 5204 W Wells Street in Milwaukee.

It is also for some of the kids I coach so if interested please:
1 wear a mask
2 social distance
3 dress for the weather ( most kids are bringing sleeping bags and chairs)

Hot cider will be provided
Brick

eric jernberg said...

sorry Friday Oct 30th.
Brick

Luna Laguna said...

I thought the air temp felt a little balmy too! It's all about perspective. I'll take the low 50s over cooler temps every time.