Tuesday, June 22, 2021

It's Not *Just* About the Swim

Next Swims:   
Mon - Fri 6 am and 5pm
Sat/Sun 8am and noon

Last Swim: 6am Tuesday (and others, of course)
Water Temp: low 60's
Air Temp: high 50's (w  t  f !)
Clarity: not great
Waves: slow small swells, but mostly flat
Kru: Lydia TTL, Pannini, Mr. Anonymous, Linda the Lamprey, Showgirl, Magic Mike and Diablo on the early shift

There were a few clouds along the horizon this morning, but the rest of sky was clear.

Photo credit: TTL



We all welcomed back Linda from her amazing END-WET swim in North Dakota.  It will be lovely to have her back doing relaxed swimming with us, versus her training regimen before.

We shivered while getting ready, leaving jackets and shirts on for as long as possible.  We all agreed, "it could be warmer.  But it's not"

TTL took the temperature and got 61.  The air and water weren't too far apart.

With the water in the chilly side, I started with low expectations.  "Sewer pipe."  And yet, still feeling the precious nature of every swimming day, I trailed TTL to the Two Cute Chairs.

Back at the beach we compared notes about our wonky frozen fingers.

Lately I've been trying to resist my inclination to lollygag while swimming, and just get it done.  But today, I deliberately took some time to savor the amazing morning sun on the shore, lighting up every detail.  Even as I did that, I wondered if my refrigerated blood might be clouding my judgement just a tiny bit.

Occasionally, there are creepy/gross things at the beach and today was one of those days.  The carcass of a  hairless creature had washed up.  Without looking too closely, it kind of looked like a cross between a plucked chicken and a piglet.  Ick.  R.I.P. little creature, whatever you were.




5 comments:

eric jernberg said...

no pics of the hairless creature?

Showgirl said...

Even _I_ won't take/post pics of dead animals, Brick.

Bikes matter said...

Eric thought it was a possum. I know they can play dead if frightened. If so, this one is an expert.

Tattoo Lady said...

It was a racoon. The tail still had some fur on it. It was really gross.

jamie said...

Lemur of the ring tail variety.
Probably Shanghai'd from Madagascar couldn't find work and viola....
.....cautionary tale for us good folk. Moral: get a job or end up dead and bloated at Klode.