Saturday, June 12, 2021

Heat Wave Continues!!

Next Swims:
Mon - Fri 6 am and afternoons at 5pm
Sat/Sun 8am and noon

Last Swim: Noon Saturday
Water Temp: between 68 per brick-o-meter, 71 per mitch-o-meter
Air Temp: mid 80s and sunny, very light wind
Clarity: murky inside the rocks, very clear beyond that.
Waves: 1'-2'
Kru: We'Taco (early shift) Itch, Brick, Mr. Anonymous, Mr. Bubble, Parker, Will, Capt'n, Ziggy, Diablo, Neo, Adam (first timer) 
Shore Support:  Neo's kids

Most remarkable thing for me today - I thought I was dreaming or hallucinating.  I'm approaching birches and I notice to my left there's somebody's head bobbing up and down - some guy doing the breast stroke!  I could have sworn I took my meds this morning!  I had to find out if I was in touch with reality - but I couldn't catch up with him, until he stopped and stood up on a sandbar to clean his goggles (just like I had last night).  So, I called out to him and learned his name is Adam and this was his first Lake Michigan swim ever.   Like me, he also just does the breast stroke.  He's in training to do the Olympic at the Lake Country Triathlon on July 31.  Adam had been lurking the blog and decided now was the time to go for it, after reading Dragonfly's post First Skin Swim (he swam skin today, too)

Another first timer for 2021 - Parker!  Her real name is Leslie, but I gave her the nickname Parker because first time I met her, she was wearing a swim cap from her swim team at Parker High School in Janesville.  Alas, that swim cap is torn now, and Leslie is experiencing an identity crisis - she no longer feels that she deserves that nickname!  The torn swim cap is forcing her to undergo a personal transformation.  Stay tuned for further developments in the following episodes.  

Even before the torn swim cap, Parker had started undergoing a transformation to become a Klode Kru evangelist - she is looking to convert other people to our religion!  Today, she brought her first novice - her friend, Will.  So actually, there were two "first ever Klode swimmers" today - Adam and Will.  

In other news, Diablo was out past the southern most rock, submerging and surfacing, over and over.  Itch came back to join him, and they pulled up a submerged tire and brought it to the beach. 

Another best swim of the season!


Second to last swim - Saturday at 8 am.  Per MJ, it was "65ish and pretty choppy".  Four hours later, she says "I still feel like I'm rocking".  Rock on, MJ!

Third to last swim:  Friday at 5
Water Temp: - different readings from different devices, between 71 and 75
Air Temp:  mid to upper 80s and sunny with light wind
Clarity:  Crystal
Waves:  2'-3', made Big Swell look calm
Kru: itch, Brick, Mr. Bubble, Showgirl, Synchro, Janneke, Kim G, Laguna, Stickler, Capt'n and Ziggy 
Shore Support:  Patriarch!

So, the warm weather and warm water just keeps on coming.  This graph of the Atwater Buoy readings says it all.  You can also see that the buoy was taken offline late Thursday night, when the official reading had only climbed to 67.  I'm sure it would have been an even steeper asymptotic curve if it had stayed online.  I wondered if the buoy was taken offline because it had overheated!


This was Stickler's first swim of the season and she seemed very happy about it!  Come to think of it,  everyone seemed really happy to be participating in first 70+ degree swim of the season.  

Sometimes I stare in space
Tears all over my face
I can't explain it, don't understand it
I'ain't never felt like this before
But that doesn't mean it has me amazed
I don't know what to do, my head's in a haze
Just like a heatwave (Heatwave)
Burning in my heart (Heatwave)
Can't keep from cryin'
It's tearing me apart
Don't pass up this chance
This time it's a true romance

2 comments:

Unknown said...

From UWM's website on the buoy: "This buoy has been temporarily recovered for maintenance. It is expected to be re-deployed in late June."

If you go to their website, they have a survey where you can comment on the service.

Unknown said...

https://glbuoys.glos.us/45013