Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Flappy things

 Probable next swims

Mon - Fri 6 am and afternoons at 4 pm?
Sat/Sun 8am and noon

Last Swim: Wednesday 6/2 @ 6 am
Water Temp: 48 per duck-o-meter 
Air Temp: 59, SUN
Clarity: Getting there
Waves: Flat
Kru: Showgirl, Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Magic Mike, IceDaug, Dragonfly
Shore support: Person in blue t-shirt with a little dog north of barrier

Pre-swim Magic Mike entertained us with a story about how, sometimes while swimming, one of his fingers felt like it had a cut on it

"you know like when you have a cut, and it has that loose flappy thing?  Like it's flapping in the water.  Then I get out and I see, I have no cut!"

We agreed there must be a name for this neurologic phenomenon, and that Mike should ask the next neurologist that he runs into at a cocktail party.  Mike spoke for the hypothetical neurologist:  "I'm taking my drink over THERE.  Don't talk to that guy!  He's into flappy things!"

Talk transitioned to a broken big toe that Lydia had suffered in a work accident involving a malevolent white board.  "It swelled to about 4x its size and turned all sorts of colors.  The doctor velcroed this cardboard thing to my foot, since I couldn't put on a shoe, and it kind of flapped when I walked."

Aha! I thought.  There's the theme.

IceDaug was first into the water in a shorty wetsuit, and out by the time the rest of us finished suiting up.

Clarity definitely improving--we had a nice view of sand ripples all the way, halfway between Rock Wall and New Mudslide.  There was a clearing with some chopped-down trees, and there looks to be a new staircase just before New Mudslide.

Magic Mike floated past me like I was standing still.  He has the most amazing slow, even sedate-appearing stroke rate, then when you breathe again he is 30 yards ahead....like he's being propelled by some kind of invisible....MAGIC....force.  Showgirl, Lydia & I all commented on it back on shore as we basked in the much-appreciated post-swim sun, but Mike had already departed.

Lydia and Showgirl declared it "Best Swim of the Season" but I felt cold.  Think I was spoiled by the low-50's temp on Monday.

2 comments:

jamie said...

Behold the chilling affects of too much pool swimming! After months of chlorine exposure, short term memory loss, perceived flappy things(mental decline) , and weakened big toe defenses all add up to chlorine poisoning. A few swims in fresh water and things quickly can go from bad to worse as the body de-toxifies. so please, if you see a pool swimmer wondering around the parking lot or talking to the flag pole, help them calmly towards the lake.
in lieu of a much needed intervention swimming at 5 tonight and hopefully kick start the pm swims before its too late. CU on the beach, excelsior!

Magic Mike said...

notably, the flappy thing only ever happens in the pool. Never in the Lake. Of course, so far this year all my fingers have been stuffed into neoprene while swimming in the lake...but still...